Chapter Thirty Three

Start from the beginning

"I don't care what he wants, I only care about you, and I am saying that fighting him would be a mistake. You are 19 years old, you're not a kid anymore, you need to act like it." I said, feeling myself begin to get angry.

"Dylan, I'm doing this whether you like it or not, I don't know what else to tell you." He said, running his fingers through his hair.

I was mad, I wanted to scream, it was like talking to a brick wall.

"Callum, if you leave this house and go after him, then you and I are done." 

Realizing what I said, I put my hand over my mouth, shocked at my own words.

"What?" He asked, his voice cracking.

"Sorry, I'm sorry, I didn't mean that." I said quickly, not knowing what came over me.

The look on his face nearly broke me, it was clear that he was hurt. "If you didn't mean it, you wouldn't have said it."

I shook my head, wanting to explain myself.

"No, you did mean it. So if you really feel that way, then fine, I won't go after him."

"Really?" I asked, taking a step towards him.

He took a step back. "Please, don't."

I looked at him confused, moving closer to him.

"No Dylan, I need some time."

"Huh?" I said, my stomach dropping.

"You- you just" He shook his head. "Using our relationship as a bargaining chip doesn't make me feel good. Maybe you're not as invested in this as I am. I just.. I need some time."

Time? Time for what? What is even happening right now? My whole heart is in this.

"Callum, please. I love you." I said, my eyes pleading with his as tears began to develop.

He cleared his throat, but didn't say anything to me. He leaned forward and gently kissed my forehead before grabbing his phone and walking out the door.

-

I sat in the library, eating a granola bar for lunch, and it felt like junior year all over again. Amy wanted me to sit with her and her friends, but it didn't feel right eating in the cafe without Callum. I had texted him so many times, telling him that I hadn't meant what I said, but still, nothing. The way I was feeling felt worse than when I thought he had cheated on me.

I felt guilty.

As I scrolled through my camera roll, looking at pictures of the two of us, my calendar app alerted me that tomorrow was Sara's sleepover that I am supposed to attend. I groaned and deleted the reminder. I didn't want to disappoint Sara, but I also didn't know how Callum would react if I just showed up to his house after telling me that he needed time, whatever the hell that means.

I was thankful that I still had until tomorrow to decide what to do.

-

The rest of my classes went by quickly, but for the most part, I couldn't pay attention to any of the lessons. I had met Amy in the parking lot so that we could drive to her house together, but she informed me that she wouldn't be driving home because she was going over to some football player's house.

When I walked into the house, I was greeted by one of Amy's maids, Kessi, who was this very sweet older woman that insisted that I stop making my bed in the morning and doing her job for her.

"Hi Kessi." I smiled.

"Good Afternoon Miss Dylan, you feeling any better?" She asked, after turning off the vaccum.

"Not really, I think I'm just gonna take a nap." I replied.

She nodded, smiling at me sadly. "Okay sweetheart, let me know if you need anything."

"Will do." I said, before heading upstairs.

Once I got to the guest room, I quickly changed out of my school clothes and but on a pair of sweatpants and a tank top before hopping into bed.

I had felt so down the last two days, I didn't even have the energy to read. I just prayed that things between Callum and I would go back to normal soon.

Just as I was beginning to doze off, my phone vibrated from the nightstand. I picked it up quickly, hoping that it was Callum, but to my dismay, it was a random number texting me.

The texted read- "Hey. This is Nessa from the Halloween party".

I smiled, having forgotten that I'd given her my number. I texted her back "hey". Not even two seconds went by before I received another message.

I reread the text thinking that maybe I read it wrong.

She texted, "I think you're my cousin".

*****

I just want to thank everyone for showing this book so much love! I cannot believe that it's almost at 100k reads!!!! That is insane to me, thank you guys for all the support !! I love you all❤️