act two ➻ part two

"I'm hunting down the last five sirens in the universe. And you're going to help me do it."

Hongjoong says the words with an uncanny lightness to his tone. You blink at him, eyes wide partly from shock but partly from disbelief. You have no time to ask him about it, however, because he turns away from you and continues talking.

"I received a report about someone claiming to have seen a Siren on Aegos, specifically in Echidna. I will be meeting with said person while you, San, Seonghwa, and Wooyoung go around listening for intel. People can't keep their mouths shut when it comes to rumors, especially people on Echidna. Thus, if there truly is a Siren on Aeogs, someone will be talking about it. If not, then it's just another dead lead." Hongjoong pauses, heaving a deep sigh. There's a fire to his eyes, a determination that lurks just behind his dark irises, and you don't ever want him to direct that gaze at you. "I have a feeling about this one though."

With that, he hits the button beside the airlock and pops the door open. He leads the way off the ship, Seonghwa hot on his heels, but you aren't so quick to follow. You shift towards San.

"How many dead leads have there been?" You ask, head tilting in Hongjoong's direction. San's first response is merely a laugh, one that ripples through his chest and resounds loudly in the air before you. Once he recovers, he answers your question with words.

"In the past six months, probably around thirty-three dead leads. Six years though? Most likely well over five hundred."

Your jaw drops at the mere thought of so many leads over the past years. San doesn't say anything else; instead, he follows Seonghwa off the ship as though the numbers he just dropped are nothing to gape at. Wooyoung's elbow hits you in the shoulder.

"Don't just stand there and catch flies. You'll get left behind." He offers a small smile before walking out of the airlock as well. This time, you are quick to follow and chase after him. Your feet hit solid ground for the first time in weeks. At this point, it's probably been over two months since you departed on your last trip and ended up aboard Hongjoong's ship, so you couldn't be more grateful to have solid ground under your boots now. There's only one thing that is bothering you, and that would be Hongjoong's claim about hunting down the last Sirens in the universe.

According to Daichi, there is a Siren nearby that you should be guarding yourself from. Did Hongjoong already hunt one down? Has he caught any? If he has...

You jog to catch up with Wooyoung, making sure to stay a couple feet behind Hongjoong when you ask your next question.

"Has Hongjoong caught any Sirens yet?"

Wooyoung is quick to shake his head in denial. "He's not been able to find any so far, but he still won't give up on it. It's the only thing he cares about."

"B-But... why? Why go through the effort of hunting them down? Is he planning to make them go extinct?"

Wooyoung opens his mouth to answer but then closes it just as quickly. He pauses and looks to the ceiling as he ponders the question, then slowly shakes his head.

"I actually don't know the answer to that. I've never cared to ask Hongjoong what his plans are when he gets all five Sirens. I just know that he wants them and will stop at nothing to find them." As Wooyoung says the words, you bring a hand up to rub at your collarbone absentmindedly. It's a strange goal to have for certain, but you would only say that if you didn't know that it was Hongjoong looking for the last five Sirens in existence. Your eyes flit over to where the captain walks, analyzing the back of his head as though it'll give you the answers you desire. Of course, it gives you nothing, and you're left to keep walking in confusion.