act five ➻ part two

chapter-specific warnings: mentions of past abuse, violence, anxiety

It is nearing nightfall by the time you all return to the ship. Yunho has already gotten Hongjoong settled in the medbay with Jongho's help, as well as set him up with an oxygen mask and an IV, and to be frank, the sight of the infamous pirate captain splayed out so helplessly was hard to see. Whatever you were feeling must have been increased tenfold for the man who stood at your side during the whole process because you could feel the panic oozing off his bones, a nagging sensation that fell on you as well. As much as he tried to help, Yunho asked him to let him and Jongho take care of it, and Seonghwa caved with a surprising amount of haste. For better or worse, you don't have to stay long there before Seonghwa is pulling you out to head up to the main airlock. It can only be worse because of who is waiting for you there: none other than Han Jisung come to join the crew for inexplicable reasons unbeknownst to you right now. And that is why you shift to look at Seonghwa's sharp side profile as the two of you walk to join Yeosang in waiting by the airlock.

"Why are we bringing him aboard?"

"We need Jisung for information, and it will be less of a hassle to have him aboard," Seonghwa explains through a clipped sigh. "I don't trust the man as far as I can throw him, but... at least I can keep an eye on him this way."

"Why can't we just have Wooyoung help us through the dreams instead?"

Seonghwa glances over at you, and your eyes meet for the briefest of moments before he looks forward once more.

"We don't know how to communicate with him yet," Seonghwa explains. His tone is a bit more gentle this time, nothing goading or forced but rather a genuine attempt to ease some of your bubbling anxieties. "You can't talk to him, ask him questions, or consistently control his body long enough to figure out where they're being held. Besides, they are locked in a cell, and you can't very well ask a guard where they are. Until we learn more about this situation and your connection to each other, this is the best course of action."

"Would Hongjoong let him on the ship?" You inquire. You can already assume the answer, and you're only asking for some sort of confirmation that this is a bad idea, but Seonghwa presses his lips together to form a thin line.

"Hongjoong would understand how critical the situation at hand is."

"Would you let him walk away without a fight too?" It is a bit out of line and far too bitter, but the words are already out of your mouth before you can stop yourself. Seonghwa freezes in place, steps coming to a sudden halt whilst you just continue walking as though you didn't say a word. You can feel the way his eyes glare holes into the back of your head, and the twinge in your chest that pains your heart surely does not come from you. A wave of pain hits you as you turn to look Seonghwa in the eye.

"Hongjoong is different," he whispers. "You know that. It isn't that I don't love or care about you, because I do. I feel both those things when it comes to you, in ways I can't even begin to describe, which is why I want you to be happy and have a chance at freedom."

"With someone whom you don't trust or know?"

"You know and trust him yourself, do you not?" Seonghwa counters without missing a beat. "Am I supposed to decided who you trust now? Was it not you who told me that I didn't need to worry about you? Shouldn't doubt your abilities? I've already told you that I am not happy about this situation at all, but still I will not decide this for you, even if you ask me to."

"Then what am I supposed to think? Right now it feels like you only want me gone so you can feel less guilty about going back to Hongjoong at the end of the day." You turn on your heel, fully prepared to leave him standing there on his own in the heat of your unreasonable annoyance. Seonghwa closes the distance between your bodies with a surprising haste and grabs hold of your wrist, spinning you back around to face him in no time. You hardly have time to breathe before he's knocking the air out of you by pressing you up against the wall of the corridor. You know what's coming next before it happens, and it's for that exact reason that you dip your chin to the side as Seonghwa moves in to plant his lips atop yours.