act five ➻ part five

chapter specific warnings: blood, fighting, violence, weapons, choking (not the sexy kind sorry), self-inflicted injury, some psychological torture, graphic depictions of death, drowning but not really? someone being held underwater, implied suicide (but no graphic depiction)

...

Stepping onto the bridge with Wooyoung in tow is an experience to say the very least. Mostly because it is eerily quiet when you arrive, so startlingly empty that you pause the second you step into the room. Hongjoong sits still as a statue in his usual place even though he has truly no need to be in the captain's chair since you aren't going anywhere quite yet. The only movements he makes are to cross one leg over the other back and forth every few seconds like he can't stay put for too long. Other than that, he makes no effort to acknowledge your presence at the edge of the bridge, which would be expected if not for the crucial nature of your mission.

The effects of Soojin's little concoction are still weighing heavily on your muscles and bones, but you are at least able to keep your eyes open now. Jongho refuses to let go of your waist, and you might complain if you didn't think you would crumble to a useless heap on the floor once he let you go. You don't trust your muscles to cooperate that much.

"I see you're bringing good news," Hongjoong states as you draw closer to where he's seated. One quick glance at the observation window tells you he's carefully watching your every move, including the pair behind you that consists of Yeosang and Wooyoung.

"Aye, Captain," Jongho says through a smile. Hongjoong finally shifts to look your way, eyes hesitating on your slumped form for a moment before moving to where Wooyoung stands.

"Glad to see you back on board, Wooyoung." His tone won't commit to showing how he truly feels, but there is a certain light in Hongjoong's eyes that he cannot hide, and you find relief in his features as he looks over Wooyoung. It's brief and temporary, but the obvious warmth that his countenance holds as he and Wooyoung make eye contact is enough to show you how heavily this has been weighing on the young captain as well.

"Glad to be back, Captain," Wooyoung answers in haste. You can hear the smile in his voice even if you cannot see it.

"Were there any issues with the mission?"

"No, just... a small hiccup." Jongho glances down at you, and the slight shift has Hongjoong redirecting his focus to you as well. You steel yourself for some sort of lecture, a backhanded comment about staying focused on the task at hand, or maybe even just a comment about you being a weak link. Hongjoong's gaze never hardens though. Instead, he offers a small nod then —

"I see. Be sure to check in with Yunho in that case."

Something else nags at the edge of your thoughts then, mostly due to the absence of one certain person on the bridge at the moment.

"Where is Jisung?"

Hands squeezing hard around your throat, shoving you under bloody waters.

Cold, cold, cold. Red in your vision, hands on your throat, and everything is cold.

"In the brig. We — I decided it would be best to keep him there until the situation changes." Hongjoong's answer is spoken through a stiff and uncomfortable tone, and you expect that he was met with some resistance when it came to such a decision. But of course, that begs another question about the other person who is not on the bridge or by Hongjoong's side like he typically would be.

"And Seonghwa?"

"Also in the brig." Hongjoong presses his lips together, and he shifts to glare holes into the floor. The shift in his demeanor is slight but unsettling nonetheless, especially as he forces a tight grin onto his lips a second later. "Wooyoung, after you've settled and taken some time to recover, I'd like to chat. I won't ask anything too invasive, but I need to know a little bit about the places you were held and where San and Mingi could possibly be. And Yeosang, a mission debriefing is needed as well."