act five ➻ part three TEASER

"Han Jisung."

Hongjoong's words stop the man in his tracks, and your eyes find his in the brief moment of hesitation before he turns to look directly at the captain. Hongjoong doesn't look back, at least not face to face because he merely glances over at Jisung through the reflection of the observation window. It's an almost haunting sight, one that sends a chill down your spine and makes you stand up a bit straighter as you watch them level each other with glares full of contempt and malice.

"Hungry dogs are never loyal. They'll eat with anybody who has food. And yours are ravenous."

"The same could be said for yours, Scourge. Many wonder how much bending that Berserker can take before he breaks. Others say that the slave will turn tail and run the moment the doors of the whorehouse open. My money, on the other hand, is on the Spectre."

If either man hears the audible gasp of panic that slips between your lips, they opt not to comment on it. Jisung's lips twist a bit, curving into an ugly smile that makes you sick to your stomach.

"You'd be nothing more than a fool to believe that any of my dogs are not fed well under my care."

"Is that what happened during your mutiny? Which dog were you, Kim Hongjoong? From the stories I've heard, you were starved to the bone."

Hongjoong shows an admirable sense of restraint in that moment; he barely lets any emotion slip through his features or stance even though you are certain that he is just as shocked as you are.

"The weakest links are always the first to go. The ones with the most to lose, and thus... the Spectre will break first. Because whether you acknowledge it or not, I have something he is desperate to see again." Jisung shifts to face you. His eyes glint under the fluorescent lights of the bridge. "What happens when you throw a hungry dog a bone?" It's nothing more than a rhetorical question, one meant to scare you, and that it does because your heart clenches painfully in your chest and squeezes around itself until you can barely stand up straight. "He swallows it whole."