act five ➻ part four

chapter specific warnings: talks of torture, talks of past self-harm, nothing directly graphic all mentioned through conversation, graphic depiction of a panic attack

"I'm going to kill the king, Hyunwoo."

"Y/N, you can't... that's going too far."

"I don't think we have a choice any longer."

"We always have a choice, Y/N. It's just about what you decide to do with that choice that matters. Think about why you're doing what you're doing, and what your intentions truly are. It's not about revenge or payment for a crime — the crimes of his people cannot be put onto his shoulders."

A sigh passes through your lips, one that sounds more exasperated than anything else, and Hyunwoo lifts a brow upon hearing the noise.

"This is revenge, Hyunwoo. He allowed my past to be taken, he created the law that allows the military to do that. Not to mention the other crimes he has committed — even if they are a result of him sitting idly by and watching them happen. I'm not saying Jisung is always right or that he is a saint for wanting to do this. But if Jisung won't commit to doing it, then I'll do it for him."

"And we swore to find a way to get those memories back, Y/N. Don't let this cloud your judgment. Don't let your devotion to making Jisung happy decide your future. If this is something he wants, then he should do it himself and face the consequences on his own! It's not a burden that you should bear as well. I know this is something you will come to regret!"

"Then you'll have to stop me with force because I've already made my mind up about this. I don't see Jisung getting in my way right now. But after all, isn't this what he wants? He's just too much of a coward to do the dirty work himself!"

"We both know where he stands on this, which is precisely why he's not here. Just — please let us try one more time. I've spoken with a few of my off-planet contacts about this, and we have one last idea that might reverse the effects of the serum. You know how difficult this is; the military keeps such a tight wrap on everything about the serum. It's near impossible to just get a spare vial, and even harder to examine how it works with test subjects while still being ethical. We are trying our best, I promise, just please hold out a little while longer. Jisung is getting things set up now... so please... just come with me and try before you do anything drastic."

The man extends a hand, palm facing towards the ceiling and fingers outstretched for you to take. There's hope in his eyes, a hope you haven't seen from him in a long time, and that look is what brings your feet forward. You place your palm over his and curl your fingers tight around the side of his hand. He squeezes back as a small grin overtakes his lips.

"If this doesn't work, then you know what I have to do, Hyunwoo."

"I know," he whispers. The hope in his eyes flickers a little, like a flame hit by a gust of wind. "In that case, I'll do whatever I have to so that you don't come to regret that decision."

"Hey, get up. It's go time."

You wake with a start, not fully come out of the memory that paints the insides of your eyelids until you look around at your surroundings. Yeosang seems to be the one who woke you seeing as his hand is still outstretched to your arm. The sight of him brings you back to reality and reminds you of where you are and what exactly is going on. Jongho sits on your other side, dressed in nicer clothes than you've ever seen him wear before — a pleated and pristine navy suit complete with a bright yellow tie and hair gelled back on his head. Yeosang too wears a somewhat expensive garb although he appears more natural in the silk tunic covering his torso. His naturally dark roots are starting to peek through the blond near his scalp, accentuating the harsh part down the middle of his head.