3. Money Problems

5:58 p.m.

I open the present from Rowe and Kelley first (a.k.a. my mom bought a gift for me and wrote their names on it). I have both toddlers on my lap at this point. Rowe bounces up and down in excitement and Kelley blows bubbles with her spit. The smallish rectangular-prism is covered in Muppets wrapping paper. It's a book, no doubt.

"Hmm... Gulliver's Travels..." I smile big. My mom may know a little about me. "Thanks Rowe and Kelley." I hug the little ones, but keep a smile directed at my mom as well. She nods.

Anna springs up and hands me a package draped in Mickey Mouse wrapping paper. She's in my bubble big time, but I guess it's alright for now. "If you don't like it, you can just give it back," she giggles. So it's one of those gifts.

I chuckle; I can't help it. Sometimes Anna isn't the worst eleven year old on the planet, hellbent on ruining my life and squashing my brains with Hannah Montana flip-flops. I try to delicately tear the paper off, because Anna wrapped it so nicely. "The Godfather I and II? Wow, Anna," I say out of shock. "Thank you so much."

"Yeah. Mom said-- I mean... I knew you'd like them. I paid for them with my allowance." I hug her after placing the movies down. I'm getting great gifts, which probably means the news is worse than I can even anticipate. I try to hide my dread best I can.

"It's that girly shampoo you like and some comic books," Dennis says as he hands me a plastic bag.

"Way to ruin it, Dennis," I joke. I peek inside the bag and find exactly that... plus a grey, woven beanie. Dennis smiles at me, satisfied by the face I make when I pull it from the bag. "C'mere." I spread my arms and my little-big brother tackles me, knocking over some of the presents I've received. He ruffles up my hair and flicks my ear. "Yeah, thanks a lot," I chuckle. I'd kick him for even touching my hair on any other day.

We laugh and joke around for a little bit, until Rowe (with his nasty cold) picks his nose and wipes it on the couch, which makes Anna yell at him, which starts a huge fight between my younger siblings. Party's over.

"Alright, kiddos. Downstairs," Mom says. The bunch groans and starts their way down. "Denny, Corey, Jema... stay." Dennis sits on the couch. Mom carries my youngest siblings downstairs.

"What's this about?" I whisper. Dennis blushes. "What did you guys do?" Dennis looks at Corey. Corey shakes his head. "Seriously? I freaking hate this--"

"Alrighty. Do you want your gift first or the news first?" Mom asks after jogging upstairs. I shrug and shake my head. Corey and Dennis glance at each other again. "Alright, news." My mom weaves her hair into a braid and exhales. She stares up at the ceiling, contemplating how to go about this news, whatever it may be.

"We're not very wealthy. You know this," she says softly. "Now. I know the rest of the kids are Rob's, but William wants to see you all--"

"No," I say strongly. Everyone in the room sighs. I will not see my biological father. The one that left us after emptying the bank account and Dennis, Corey, and my college funds? Not a freaking chance.

"Jema. I've already talked to these two." She indicates Dennis and Corey. I almost boil over with anger. Of course my mom would discuss the issue with my brothers first.

"Yeah, because they'll do anything you tell them to! You know how awful he is! He hasn't even called me in what-- two years?!" I stand up and begin to walk out.

"Jema. Sit your behind down," Mom says. I comply. "He simply wants to see you boys. You're his sons. The only Eckart kids he's got. And he agreed to send monthly support, along with a few extra bucks to help us by. We need it, Jem. We can't pass up the opportunity."