16. Never Have I Ever

"Here's your room. I know you'll only be here a week but do you want to go out and buy some decorations? Posters or something. If you don't like the bedcover, we can go out and buy a new one. What movies do you like? We can start a TV series if you want. And I know this carpet is pretty ratty, so we can go out while Daddy has a guy come in and change it. And if the closet isn't big enough, there's another storage space under the bed. And you like to read, so there's a Kindle for you. I bought it and was gonna send it after you got home, but you're staying, so I guess you can have it now. There's already a hundred books on there like Harry Potter and nerdy stuff you like. I put my mini-fridge in your room because I don't need to be eating at 2 a.m. but it's okay if you do."

Nicky talks and talks while we hang my clothes in the closet, make the bed, and plug in lamps and whatnot. I'm barely listening at this point. Immediately after I saw my mom and siblings get into that van and wave goodbye, I thought I'd made a wrong decision. It's only a week; I know. Even if I hate it here, it's only a week. Anna and Cal are nice to me, but they seem distant. It seems like everyone in this family has a "well, if it's best for Nicky" attitude. Even with William Jr. around, Nicky is undeniably the baby of the family.

"So what do you want to do first? We can eat lunch with my friends or eat here. Doesn't matter. Or you can take a nap. I feel like a nap," Nicky says. He sits on my bed and looks at me expectantly. He's so excited that I'm here. I'm sure after a little while, I'll be excited too.

"Mac n cheese sounds good," I shrug.

"Noodles and Company it is!" Nicky exclaims with a clap. "I'm gonna go get dressed. Do you want to go shopping? I need a new phone case, too." Nicky doesn't wait for an answer as he bolts to his room. I flop on the bed. It's so overwhelming. This room is twice the size of our biggest room at home. There's a flat screen on the wall with Netflix and Hulu passwords taped to the corner. I remember the glasses in my backpack and put them on. That's better. I can actually see.

When we're downstairs, Anna and Cal are playing video games while their Mom is on the couch, dressed for a runway, and she plays with William Jr.'s hands and feet. "Where are you going, Nicky?" she asks sweetly.

"To worship Satan," Nicky replies. His mom doesn't reply, but keeps tickling William Jr. "I'm going to smoke pot and vandalize a hospital," he says loudly.

"What, honey?" his mom asks. Nicky rolls his eyes and heads out. I peek my head out the door and tell him I forgot my phone, so I head upstairs. When I turn to leave the room and go back downstairs, Anna and Cal are waiting for me.

"Hey," I say cautiously. Anna and Cal look at each other.

"Hey... we have a few questions. You and Nicky have talked a little, right?" Cal asks. I nod. "So... is he gay? Or are we crazy..."

"What?!" I ask in disbelief.

"Nicky is gay, right?" Anna says. I'm absolutely shocked. "I mean, we think so, but we're not—"

"Yes, he's gay," I respond with a huff. "Nicky's gay...you're kidding, right?" Do they really not pay enough attention to each other to not know Nicky was gay? What on earth? The boy is living up the gay life. I mean, I hate to say it, but he's TVs gay teen stereotype.

"Oh, okay. I mean, he's never really told us. We didn't want to just assume... okay so we've been right for four years," Cal says. "Did he like, say it outright? Or did he just mention it."

"I'm gay, too. And Nicky made out with your ex-boyfriend," I say to Anna. Her eyes widen. "Don't tell me you didn't know that, either?"

She shakes her head. "Nicky doesn't tell us anything," she says.