Happy Birthday, Jema {Five}

Corey hasn't stopped playing the game on his phone by the time Dennis comes back with popcorn. Any other time, I wouldn't really mind it, but it's kind of my birthday.

It's okay that Mom and Rob had to work today. But Corey and Dennis are here, and I want them to actually listen to me this time. The little ones are already asleep downstairs.

Finally, a miracle happens, which means Corey sets down his phone and actually pays enough attention to click 'play' on the movie. Dennis hops on the couch on my other side, cracking his knuckles and sniffing from his cold. Gross. I hope he washed his hands before making this popcorn.

"How does fifteen feel?" Corey asks, grabbing a handful from the bowl.

"Like fourteen, but more special," I sigh. Dennis sneezes, and I shove him away. "Go wash your hands."

"I covered," Dennis argues. I can tell all three of us are feeling the heavy silence of the house, even though it's not even empty. "Sorry Mom isn't here. Kinda sucks."

"Whatever." I shrug while the intro to Captain America: the First Avenger flickers on the screen. Dennis is just about miserable, but I know he wouldn't desert me on my birthday.

We've watched the film for about fifty minutes before Corey makes a comment about going back to the forties to pick up women ten times better than Steve Rogers ever could, and Dennis agrees. Ha, I'd go back to the forties and pick up Steve Rogers himself.

Corey says he 'claims' Peggy, and Dennis says something about a hot nurse. I think I'm blushing hard enough to pass out.

"We should've had your birthday over at that girl Trinlee's house. She's freakin' rich," Corey sighs. I simply nod in agreement, shoving another handful of popcorn in my mouth. "She's into you, too."

"I don't think so," I counter. Dennis laughs, which makes him end up coughing. "What?"

"She's hot, too," Corey says, raising his eyebrows suggestively and nudging my arm with his elbow. I shake my head. "You mean you're not gettin' that? C'mon-"

"I'm not into girls," I suddenly blurt. Dennis stops coughing. Corey stops chuckling. The house is silent again besides the noise of the TV. "I don't like girls," I say again, my voice small and lacking the kind of conviction I practiced just a few days ago. Dennis frowns, but says nothing before going to the bathroom to pick up tissues. Corey simply turns back to the television with the popcorn bowl in his lap.

"Since when?" Dennis asks when he sits down again, tissues in hand. "I mean, when did you think so?" I don't say anything. "C'mon. I mean, you're gay then, right?"

"Yeah, I guess so," I sigh. Corey shakes his head and sticks his hand in his pocket to get a cigarette.

"I'll be back," Corey huffs before rushing outside. I feel myself flop back onto the couch. This is going about as well as I expected. By the way Corey's reacting, there's no way I can tell Mom yet. I even had a dream about this the other day. This is the second worst birthday ever.

At least Dennis is still here. I don't have a clue what's running through his mind right now. I head to the kitchen to grab two cans of Sprite before sitting in the living room again.

Dennis' hand is on my shoulder a few minutes later. "So, which one of these guys would you pick up?"

*

*

@MxMonster made that awesome-possum cover presented here :)

If you need a cover go ask them :3