Don't Go, Jemmy {eleven}

There's supposed to be a big yellow truck driving to my house, but I don't see it yet.

Mommy made me a sandwich today. PB and J is what it is and I love it.

She told me I'm gonna be the most smartest kid in kinner-garden cause I know how to tie my shoes like a smart boy. She told me to tell Miss Teacher that my name is Jema not Corbin. Mommy told me that I was gonna have the most fun learning things. I can even spell my name, and all of it, too.

Corey is smarter which is why he goes all the way in second grade but I'll be in second grade too. Maybe next week.

"What do you do if the teacher asks you a question you can't answer?" Mommy asks me.

"I say 'sorry Miss Teacher but you have to ask my mommy about that'," I answer like a smart boy.

"And what do you do if kids pick on you?" Mommy asks.

"I say 'teacher! Call the cops!'" I say while I laugh. I saw that on TV. Mommy shakes her head and helps tuck my shirt in and put my belt on. I can't do that yet. Soon Mommy said I can pick out my own favorite clothes.

"Jema..."

"I say 'those kids are picking on me, teacher!' and I tell the truth and I never hit first but I can hit last," I answer. Mommy gives me a big love-kiss on my face. "When can I go to school?"

"When the bus gets here, Baby."

I stand up tall on the steps and Mommy takes a picture of me in my fancy school clothes. I hear a loud thunder noise and when I look I can see a big yellow bus!

"Is that the bus?!" I jump up and down with my legs.

"Yes! Do you want me to walk with you or can you go by yourself?"

"I want to go by my-"

"NO!" Dennis screams. He uses his fists to hit the door and he's crying because he's so little. Dennis is only three and he can't tie his shoes so he can't go to school. He doesn't want me to go to school. "Don't go Jemmy!"

"I'm going to school, Denny. I'll be back next week." Daddy says he'll be back next week so I tell Denny I'll be back next week just like Daddy.

"Don't go, Jemmy!" Dennis says with tears all over his face. I see that the bus is waiting for me to walk into it so I have to hurry.

"I'll be back next week!"

*

*

*