To Make Your Own Path

"This is a little odd though if you think about it." Hope rocked back and forth, eyes glued to her watch

"How so?" Hiccup turned to her, eyebrows knitted slightly

Hiccup and Hope were in their bedroom. Hope was in the middle of her bed, one hand petting a preoccupied Treasure, legs rocking with nerves. Hiccup was leaned against his headboard, Toothless sat on his outstretched legs asleep.

"We pick someone we either barely know or don't know at all to be with for the rest of our lives. We are basically making a person." Hope bit her bottom lip, eyes flicking to look at the ceiling

Hiccup sighed, pushing himself to sit upright, while still keeping Toothless sleeping "Hope, you'll be fine. I guess it is a little weird but we also get a name. We get to know what they look like so that it isn't some blind date."

"It's just odd. Like- what if we make the wrong choice? What if who we choose we don't like but we are stuck with them forever."

"Well, get over your nerves because it's happening in three... Two... One!"

The soulmate selector popped above their heads

"Okay. Names." Hope looked up "I have Aaron or Eret. You?"

"Heather or Astrid." Hiccup read off, immediately knowing what he would choose "Astrid."

Hope looked over at her brother "Eret." She answered "That was quick Hiccup. Is there something you're not telling me?"

"What is there to tell?" Hiccup looked at the next option "Eye colors."

"Do you- How long have you had a crush on Astrid?"

"Blue, green, or brown. Blue." Hiccup answered "And for a while now."

"Brown, green or blue. Brown." Hope selected "Why didn't you tell me?!"

"Hair color. Blonde, brunette, or redhead. Blonde. And because it wasn't a big deal."

"Black, blonde or red. Black. And yes it is a big deal! What if she picks you?"

"Age. Older, younger, same age. Younger. She's not gonna pick me, Hope."

"Older. Yes, she will!" Hope retorted

"Really?" Hiccup paused "Height. Shorter, taller, same height. Shorter."

"Yes really! Taller. She is gonna pick you!"

"Highly doubt it. Location, east, or west coast. West coast."

"West coast. She will Hiccup."

"How do you know?" Hiccup looked at the message that popped up when the ceremony was complete

Soulmate characteristics ceremony completed. You will see your soulmate in 9,839 hours.

"Nine thousand eight hundred and thirty-nine hours?" Hiccup tilted his head

"Nine thousand eight hundred and thirty-nine hours?!" Hope gawked as she snatched her phone "Hey Alexa? How many days is nine thousand eight hundred and thirty-nine hours?"

"How long is that?"

"It says it's a year and 44 days. I think it's just cause Astrid is younger than you and so her birthday has to come around, plus the initial day you will meet them as your soulmate." Hope read off what popped up on her phone

"That actually makes sense. What does yours say?"

Soulmate characteristics ceremony completed. You will see your soulmate in 72 hours.