14. WORST IS WORTH IT

Chapter 14: WORST IS WORTH IT.

***********************

A week later I was still not settled in my own home.

My sleepy self struggled to understand the simple workings of my kitchen. The fridge was the only thing working, but since I didn't go grocery shopping it was completely empty save for some milk, cheese and random fruit juice that I had no recollection of buying.

My coffee machine was plugged in, but I didn't have any coffee left......I looked everywhere (maybe not everywhere, but my patience was running low). After wasting a solid half hour I was so done.... I just quickly took a shower and changed into some workplace appropriate clothes in my caffeine deficient condition, while cursing at every damn thing.

When my doorbell rang I was about to go crazy for no apparent reason on some very innocent person, until I pulled the door open and it revealed a smiling Sam.

OK, so maybe he's not that innocent.

"Put that smile away...." I glared. "I hate morning people!" grumbling, I turned away, leaving the door ajar for him to enter and follow me inside. He chuckled as he walked in.

"Yes madam" He said sarcastically, pretending to comply with my unreasonable request, as he closed the door behind him. A barely there smile still stayed on his lips.

"What brings you here?" I asked, while I walked all over the place looking for my shoes and keys and phone and any other essentials.

"I thought your kitchen might not be set up..... So I got you breakfast." He said, lifting the paper bags he's been carrying. His words froze me in my spot and I gawked at him.

"You kidding?" I all but ran to him, and grabbed the bags from his hands.

He laughed. "Easy there tiger... "

"I'm famished" I placed the bags on the counter and looked inside. There was coffee, donuts and sandwiches inside. "Oh my god you're the best!" I exclaimed, as I quickly kissed his cheek and then dashed back to my breakfast and paid undivided attention to my heavenly coffee.

Sam chuckled and reached for his own coffee as he pulled a chair for himself and got seated around the counter. I picked up a donut and shoved it inside my mouth in the most unladylike manner.

"Damn, you weren't kidding." He joked as he looked at me with laughter in his wide blue eyes.

"Missed dinner last night, I was just gonna rush to that cafe across the street." I said, as I sipped more coffee pretty much uncaring about the fact that I might burn my tongue.

He frowned, but didn't comment. "Can I have some water?" He asked.

"Look in the fridge." I said without dividing my attention from my breakfast.

He walked over to my fridge for a bottle of water but stared dumbfounded at my empty fridge. "Did you get robbed?"

I rolled my eyes, "yeah and the thief was super hungry." I replied sarcastically.

He chuckled, "You are going to starve yourself at this rate, no wonder your parents worry about you so much."

"That's why, I have you..." I said in a sing-song tone, making him laugh. "Besides, we both know that's not why mom and dad are worried about me..." I said shrugging. Ever since the accident that landed me in a hospital two years ago, my relationship with my parents have not been the same.

Sam grew quiet, maybe thinking he shouldn't have bought it up. He looked around at my apartment "When are you planning to set this all up?" He asked, gesturing at the cardboard boxes that took up random spots.