13. NOW THAT I'VE EARNED A NICKNAME

Chapter 13: NOW THAT I'VE EARNED A NICKNAME

***********************************************************

Alex's POV;

******************

After a well deserved off-time It took me two days to think of something to test him without being too out of line, changing his keyboard settings and shortcuts seemed too personal, ridiculous ringtones seemed too inappropriate, TP-ing his office and everything inside seemed too childish...all these thoughts went through my mind until I came up with a perfect plan today, this morning I sneaked into his office with help of Kate (without her knowledge obviously, I don't wanna die so soon) and changed the settings of his multifunction printer.

Now the machine only accepts instructions in Japanese and each time you turn it on, it will greet you with a very loud and happy sounding "kon'nichiwa...." followed by more Japanese that sounded incoherent to my inexperienced ears.

It was hard not to smile... especially when I pictured his enraged reaction to all that mixup.

Sitting in my office, sipping my morning coffee, I was awaiting the volcano that was about to erupt, hopefully the walls are not perfectly soundproofed, I guess I'll find out soon enough.

A knock on the door pulled me out of my thoughts and I dragged my attention to Nick who was standing in my doorway giving me his usual geeky stern look. "Come in" I mumbled and he casually walked in and handed me a new project file along with some papers.

"Here" he said, I made a sad face at him but accepted the added work anyway. The papers showed a brief progress report of the new campaign advertisement and some marketing schemes.

Just as I was going through the papers Nick spoke up "Oh and almost forgot, Mr. Black had asked for you to meet him in his office."

I froze and I guess, visibly paled at his words "Now?" I asked at which he just nodded.

"He wants to discuss the sales and profit agenda right?" I asked again, almost urging him to say yes telepathically.

He shook his head and answered "No idea whatsoever." So much for my telepathy.

I was in trouble. Heaps of trouble. After Nick left, I clumsily got out of my chair and grabbed the sales file (just in case) as I ungracefully stumbled out of my own office room and very very very slowly started walking towards the CEO's office.

Just as I was to enter, Kate exited his office and she gave me a smile and mouthed "talk later, I'm kinda in a hurry" when our gaze met.

I desperately needed a friend so I planted myself in her way despite what she said and stopped her "Kate, help me...I'm in a big problem" I said gesturing towards his office.

"What? B-but how?" She asked, confused. "Did you do something again? Alex how many times do I have to tell you to-"

I cut off her speech by putting my hand on her mouth "stop it will you! I'm stressed enough as it is."

"What did you do?" She asked.

"Something," I told her vaguely.

She shook her head at me in disapproval and I pouted "what do I do? I'm being summoned to the villain's chamber". Yes I started calling him 'the villain', only Nick and Kate knew, it was one of our inner-circle things.

Kate rolled her eyes and smiled "It's probably not that big of a deal, stop being a drama queen."

"It seems that way to you but remember Kate, if I don't make it out alive..." I took a small pause to prolong this very grave matter "please don't let my mom choose pink flowers for my funeral."