12. TRUCE FOR NOW

Start from the beginning

He on the other hand behaves as if nothing was out of the ordinary, like there was no argument or clash of opinions to begin with, but he never verbally apologised or said anything about what happened that day so I'm just assuming that we were practicing 'Truce for now'.

But I had to make sure, so much uncertainty was not good for my mind, especially when it was brought to my notice that me ignoring Jensen is actually working in his favor. He was actually enjoying the serenity that comes with my absence and that's just not acceptable. I can't leave him alone to his peacefully luxurious life. No, that's not how it works!

"Do you think he's up to something?" I asked Nick, who seemed busy clearing the desk of unwanted files and documents to make room for the important ones.

He spared me a glance for a millisecond and then focused back at his work at hand, "Alex, I don't think he sits in his office and makes villainous schemes of dragging you down all day."

I wanted to believe him, but something said I should be on my guard. "Villainous you say... though that would suit him, appropriately."

Nick gave me a flat stare and said, "If you're gonna start calling him that I want no part in it, I refuse to acknowledge it was my idea."

"Sure Nick." I laughed, "by the way I won't be coming in tomorrow, I've already applied for a leave."

Nick paused, "but- it's a weekday..."

I raised my eyebrows, "hence the leave."

He shook his head, "alright sure, I reschedule if anything important comes up."

************************************************************

Jensen's pov

***************

An error message popped up on my computer for the hundredth time and I rubbed my hands down my face and sighed heavily.

Leaning back in my chair I grabbed the phone and speed dialled my assistant.

"Where's the tech guy I asked for like a million years ago?" I grumble at her exasperated.

"Your million years were like fifteen minutes ago in real time and he said he'll be there to check your system soon, can't you lay off for a few minutes." I could imagine Kate rolling her eyes as she said this, and it only made me sigh again.

"Okay... " I agreed, "get me those R&D files I need to look into." I said and hung up.

Minutes later I heard a knock on my door, followed by the click of her high heels as she entered my office.

She placed the new pile of files in their designated spot on my desk, gave me my coffee and then proceeded to give me her unnecessary, unbiased opinion on my appearance after barely glancing in my direction, "you look like Dracula... you know, without the bloodsucker part."

The lack of humor in her tone would have confused me if I wasn't so used to her sarcasm and brutal honesty. "Gee thanks, expecting to turn into a bat any minute now." She didn't even crack a smile at that, but I could tell she was amused by the fact that she refused to meet my eyes as she looked away.

"When was the last time you had a good nights' sleep?" She enquired, as she eyed my messy desk. Her OCD must be kicking in.

"I can't remember for the life of me" I said while leaning back some more with my reclining chair as I rubbed my eyes. That deal with Japanese investors was a real pain in the neck.

"Sounds healthy." She commented, "you're gonna work yourself to an early grave." There she goes again with her too honest opinions.

"What's left in my schedule for today?" I asked, already feeling exhausted from all the meetings.