Inspired by the Philippines

He was running down the path. Mud splashing everywhere. The dogs were running after him. He was nearly there. He had a good feeling this time. The boy smiled l and shook the coins in his hand. Yes, this time it should work. He finally stopped and fell due to the dogs going on top of him. He started laughing while they licked him.

"Good boys. Good boys, let me go I need to do this today" they finally let him stand up and go into his house. Before he entered, he let his eyes travel around the building. A humble bamboo house which people in Europe would probably classify as "inhabited" however it was his home and he loved it. He pushed the thin, nearly falling off its hinges, door and made his way towards the far end of the house. There, in the corner, in a small drawer was his jar of savings. He was so excited, he has heard so many stories about this restaurant and he finally had it in his town. It was the biggest news when it was open. The highlight and everyone wanted a taste. Queues were longer than his life as he joked and people came from nearby small towns just to see what this was. Everyone was happy and hopefully, people queued for hours. The boy knew he had to buy food from there as well so he made it his mission to save enough to buy for himself and his brother. He started counting. The night was calm, not much sound could be heard if we don't count the regular barks of the dogs. A screamed pierced the night like lightning in the sky.

"Yes, yes! I got them! I got them!" The boy jumped in pride and excitement. He ran out of the house, the restaurant was five minutes away which was a stroke of even bigger luck for him. He cried in happiness. Even though his tears clouded his vision, he could make out the sign. The sign of so many ads, possibilities, and dreams. The sign that gives this town the hope that change is coming, that soon they will reach the level of the outside world. The boy reached his destination and stopped to stare at the big, bright, yellow M for a couple of minutes. Then he opened the door and went in.

He trembled in immense pleasure when he heard a voice saying "Welcome to McDonald's."

                                                                                    - A note from the author -

The Philippines was one of the most amazing, magical places I have been to. However, life on the islands is not easy and we should always remember not to take what we have for granted. For example, on some islands, there was no electricity for the locals before 8pm and some islands had just had their first McDonald's open.