Dear Covid19 Version 2

Dear Covid19,

For some you are a myth, others see you as a monster waiting for us to crack, some paint you as a nature savior. Who are you really? Are you the bad guy here to destroy us or to teach us lessons?

This year I went on an exchange to Singapore. The first semester was a blast! I fell in love with the country, its people, the university, and nature. Words aren’t enough to express my love for this beautiful place. Sadly, you came upon us during my second semester. We all became depressed, scared, and fearful. Many exchange students forgot the joy of experiencing this exciting culture, and many of the locals felt extremely anxious due to the circumstances. It was hard for everyone to keep up their spirits. Most of my friends left because of you, my music room got locked, you captured the one I never thought you would and took him away from me. I saw you as the devil, the one lurking in the hospitals my parents work at, and I pray they will hide well while you count.

My soul was aching. As the world was closing down, my life was changing drastically. That’s when I knew I needed to be strong. I had to change my routine into a colorful one filled with reading, writing, singing, training, and online socializing.

Covid 19, I will not thank you.

However, I will tell you that I am not scared of you anymore. I saw the world change in front of my eyes and I know we learn each day how strong we are. We all do what we can, we spend more time with the ones we love and we finally truly see how important it is to cherish every moment. With this newfound power and united strength, you do not stand a chance.

Bye,
Elly George