Dear Covid19 Version 1

Dear Covid19,

For some you are a myth, others see you as a monster waiting for us to crack, some paint you as a nature savior. Who are you really? Are you the bad guy here to destroy us or to teach us lessons?

We met at the beginning, in December during my exchange in Singapore. You hit me like a hurricane, took the rug from under my feet and I fell in the wrong arms. The arms of fake security, darkness and anxiety. They helped me sleep at night but then kicked me hard during the day. My safe heaven felt like a prison cell.  Most of my friends left because of you, my music room got locked, you captured the one I never thought you would and I lost him, you damaged, angered and I was left a mess just like I thought you wanted. I saw you as the devil, the one patrolling the hospitals where my parents work and I pray they will hide well while you count.

But maybe you don’t like me weak.  Maybe your constant shadow over my life dared me to become strong, after all, you gave us quarantine. You pushed me so many times over the edge. You took the fun out of Singapore, you took me out of Singapore, you got me locked in an apartment for 14 days, you overtook the whole world. I couldn’t escape you, your presence was everywhere. I became determined to value every second of my life because I knew you could take it away from me.

You remind me of a school bully. You think I need to fear you but I can’t fear someone I am learning so much from. After you appeared, I learnt how strong I could be and how much I am willing to put others first.

Now I turn my back on you and continue walking. I walk past the fake arms and the conspiracies. I walk while looking at the sky. It’s the only thing that matters as it shows me I am still alive.

Yours truly,
the kid you used to push against a locker