24. Big plans (Lié)

It was bitter to be working in Chaus again even though my circumstances had changed quite a lot since the last time I had been here. The hideout was close to the school I had escaped from as a child. I hoped to be killing some old acquaintances to sweeten the heist for me.

KM-13 had exploded his way into one of 3 tech-rooms. When the lights turned off, I made my way into the building. I used a silenced gun to take out anyone I came across. I knew the building from way back. Keres had been my very first employer after I left the school, one I had betrayed for Cronus. Cronus just provided a much safer work environment.

There was a big room full of killers right in front of the safe. Many of them slept and lived here. Killing invaders or each other was their timepass. I had slept in the same room when I was younger. The building was never finished, probably because there was just too much murder going on.

Now I was sitting on a scaffold looking down the sight in the darkness. I knew exactly where everything was. I send down one gas-grenade, then I listened. There was a lot of coughing, followed by the dull sound of bodies dropping on the floor. My breath relaxed for a moment. 

And there it was. One of the dark figures on the floor had lifted a weapon, the shot missed me only by inches. I had feared for my life since I can remember but today I was fearing for Rutha as well.

I jumped down immediately, shooting the silenced gun at the figure while I fell. A growling moan. I guess some people have immunity to even the rarest poisons. But nobody is immune to guns. I of course had been vaccinated against the bio-weapons I more regularly used.

I snuck to the safe and planted the explosives swiftly. After a few seconds, I watched the explosion from the opposite end of the room. Being fast was key now. I knew that KM-13 was not going to wait around in that tech-room. Someone was going to fix the electricity soon. My chances of teleporting right out of this would be over before long. On top of that, I was 100% sure that someone was going to come after the money in the safe after hearing the explosion. Interrupting a heist to take over and steal the money. Criminal 101.

I ran as fast as I could, avoiding all traps I was aware of on the floor around the gold. I threw a net over one of the many gold heaps and managed to teleport before the electricity was back on.

I could not help but laugh. Being alive had never felt so rewarding. KM-13 and Rutha were both on Hubris with me.

All of the planning, the investments, the risks.. Worth it.

I took out a bottle of covfefe and a cake.

"Rutha, you're going to college," I said proudly.

He smiled half-heartedly. "It is what is best for you, believe me.", I said.

I put on some jazz. KM-13 was enjoying electricity from the ship while Rutha and I had covfefe. He joined us for eating cake. Rutha still seemed less than excited at the prospects of leaving within a few months' time. I put some college brochures on his techdevice. KM-13 agreed that it would be a good solution. We talked for a few hours. KM-13 teleported back to his home ship. Rutha and I went to sleep. I had a calm feeling. Everything had worked out. I slept very well. I woke up when Hubris alarmed me that Rutha's ship had left. "Not the first time, won't be the last time", I thought to myself. Teenagers sneaking off to have a good time, such a cliche. Something felt a little off though. I stretched and opened my eyes, scanning the ship. The gold. Some of it was gone. The little bugger had taken the money and ran.