Ch 27: Mind infiltration

"Is there something wrong with the interface?" Sara asked, her and Jax once again in the library.

"I triple checked the connections, and everything seems fine. Look, it's an artifact from 33 A. D. talking to an AI from the 22nd century. You just gotta give it some time."

"Patience isn't really one of Sara's strong suits." Clarity smiled walking into the library carrying a tray filled with fancifully frosted cupcakes. "Fortunately it's one of mine and I come bearing treats to help make waiting easier."

"Aw sweet

"Aw sweet." Jax rubbed his hands together his eyes lighting up at the frosted delicacies. Clarity's cupcakes were the best. Even better than his moms which was really saying something cause his moms were the best. "Thanks, Clarity."

"Rip, tell you anything pachirisu?" Sara asked her uncrossing her arms to take one off the tray.

"Hey, I wanted that one." Jax complained snatching up a red one instead of the blue Sara'd grabbed.

"Tough." She replied biting into her cupcake. It was no secret Clarity always poured an extra bit of love into the blue ones.

"Only this amazing recipe for cupcakes, your choices are red velvet, vanilla, chocolate and fun fetti, but I left out the hemilotisine. Key ingredient my ass." Clarity shook her head.

"The what?" Jax looked confused.

"Hemilotisine." Clarity repeated. "It's some kind of futuristic poison that kills meta's. Stage one of infection is passing out. Stage two is a coma and stage three is brain death. He tried to trick me into thinking it was pudding mix so they'd get all moist and fluffy but I just used jello brand cause that's normal and won't kill us. He thought he outsmarted me but ha! I'm the one with the awesome baked goodies and he's the one all lonesome in the brig."

"Your not going back in there with him." Sara told her.

"But Sara we have to-"

"Not alone." Sara amended her statement slightly. "Rip's not right in the head right now, and I don't like you being alone with him. What if the legion has more mind control programming in you?"

"Gideon scanned my brain twice now. I'm clear. We would have found something."

"Still it's better to be safe than sorry. I trust you, but not him."

"Hey, guys, anything?" Nate asked walking in Amaya right behind him. "Oooh cupcakes." Nate snatched one up off Clarity's tray.

"Not yet." Jax replied to Nate, already going for another cupcake. Clarity smiled in delight at the fact that her friends were enjoying her treat.

"Are you sure Stargirl doesn't know where my grandfather ended up?" Nate wondered looking at the screen.

"No, the JSA thought the pieces of the spear would be safer if they didn't know where Rip was dropping them off." Amaya replied the only one not to take a cupcake, "No thanks, Clarity."