20) Winky the Elf

"If it's Voldemort's sign, why exactly are we heading towards it?" I questioned, leaning heavily against Seamus.

"Help will be there soon," Seamus breathed, looking a little strained. I'm a small person, but dragging someone around isn't very fun, no matter the size.

When we got there, we found Barty Crouch standing in front of my friends, demanding to know who summoned the Dark Mark.

Seamus handed me over to Ron and Harry, who each wrapped an arm over their shoulders.

"I'm gonna go find my ma," Seamus said, then turned and disappeared in the woods.

"Where did the Mark come from, you three?" Mr. Weasley questioned my friends, glancing worriedly down at me for a moment.

"Over there," Hermione shakily pointed at some trees. "There was someone behind the trees... they shouted words — an incantation —"

"Oh, stood over there, did they?" Mr. Crouch turned his disbelieving gaze on Hermione. "Said an incantation, did they? You seem very well informed about how that Mark is summoned, missy —"

None of the other Ministry members seemed to think that my friends conjured the Dark Mark. They pointed their wands in that direction, and scrutinized the darkness

"We're too late," a witch in a woolen dressing gown shook her head. "They'll have Disapparated."

"I don't think so," Amos Diggory said. "Our Stunners went right through those trees.... There's a good chance we got them...."

"Amos, be careful!" A few wizards warned, but Mr. Diggory just raised his wand and walked into the darkness.

A few seconds later, Mr. Diggory shouted, "Yes! We got them! There's someone here! Unconscious! It's — but — blimey..."

"You've got someone?" Mr. Crouch sounded doubtful. "Who? Who is it?"

Mr. Diggory reemerged from behind the trees, carrying a small, limp figure in his arms. I immediately recognized the towel. Winky.

Mr. Crouch didn't do anything as Mr. Diggory sat his house-elf at his feet. Everyone was staring at Crouch. For a few seconds, Crouch stared down at the elf, then he seemed to come back to life, "This — cannot — be. No —"

He moved quickly around Mr. Diggory, starting towards where the elf had been found.

"No point, Mr. Crouch," Mr. Diggory called. "There's no one else there."

Mr. Crouch just continued walking. We heard him moving around, rustling the bushes, searching.

"Bit embarrassing," Mr. Diggory stared grimly down at the elf. "Barty Crouch's house-elf... I mean to say..."

"Come of it, Amos," Mr. Weasley spoke quietly, "you don't seriously think it was the elf? The Dark Mark's a wizard's sign. It requires a wand."

"Yeah," Me. Diggory said, "and she had a wand."

"What?" Mr. Weasley demanded.

"Here, look." Mr. Diggory held up a wand. "Had it in her hand. So that's clause three of the Code of Wand Use broken, for a start. No non-human creature is permitted to carry or use a wand."

At that moment, there was another pop, and Ludo Bagman Apparated next to Mr. Weasley. He looked breathless and disoriented, spinning on the spot as he stared up at the green skull.

"The Dark Mark!" He panted, almost stepping on Winky as he turned to look at his colleagues. "Who did it? Did you get them? Barty! What's going on?"

Crouch had returned empty-handed. His face was sheet white, and his hands and mustache we both twitching.

"Where have you been, Barty?" Bagman said. "Why weren't you at the match? Your elf was saving you a seat too — gulping gargoyles!" Bagman just noticed Winky lying at his feet. "What happened to her?"

"I have been busy, Ludo," Crouch said, still talking jerkily, hardly moving his lips. "And my elf has been stunned."

"Stunned? By you lot, you mean? But why — ?"

Understanding dawned on Bagman's face. He looked up at the skull, down to Binky, then finally at Crouch.

"No!" He said. "Winky? Conjure the Dark Mark? She wouldn't know how! She'd need a wand, for a start!"

"And she had one," Mr. Diggory said. "I found her holding one, Ludo. I'd it's all right with you, Mr. Crouch, I think we should hear what she's got to say for herself."

Crouch gave no indication that he had heard Mr. Diggory, so the man just took the silence as assent. He raised his own wand, pointed it at Winky, and said, "Rennervate!"

Winky stirred weakly. Her massive brown eyes opened, and blinked several times in a bewildered sort of way. She shakily rose to a sitting position, watched by silent witches and wizards. She first caught sight of Mr. Diggory's feet, and slowly raised her gaze to his face; then, more slowly still, she looked up at the sky. The floating skull reflected in her glassy eyes. She gasped, looked around wildly at the crowded clearing, then burst into terrified sobs.

I am about to have an amazing sleep and you guys should be jealous. Sleep is amazing and I wish I could do it for often. I'm very sorry this AN is short. I'm gonna sleep.

I hope you had a great Tuesday, and I will see you on Thursday. Love ya!