124) Fudge is a Little Like Fudge Now

As we made our way across the grounds, Fudge stepped back to speak to me.

"You recognized the person who attacked you, yes?" Fudge asked, and I nodded. "Well, then perhaps it could have been Madame Maxime, could it not have been?"

"No," I said, scowling. "It wasn't Madame Maxime. It was a man, I think. Someone with a deep and gravelly voice."

"Oh," Fudge said. "Sorry, it's just, you've got to be suspicious of those half-breed types, you know? You never know when they'll start acting their nature, start acting savage."

"Those half-breed types, huh?" I sighed.

"I didn't mean you, Mr. Jackson!" Fudge said quickly, looking wide eyed. "I just — I meant —"

"I know perfectly well what you meant, Minister, I just don't think you realize how that still applies to me," I said. "A child of a mortal and something else, something not human. Someone born out of turn, someone born in a way that nature never intended."

"Yes," Fudge said quietly, looking guilty and ashamed, but I was thankful he wasn't trying to hide his opinion. "Yes, that exactly."

I nodded, then looked up at him, "If nature hadn't intended it, then I do believe it wouldn't have happened. I am human, Minister, I am just also something else. The same goes for Hagrid, and for Madame Maxime. They're human. They're sentient. They feel. They just also are born to a different species, and I really do believe you shouldn't give a damn."

"It's hard not to," Fudge said. "Have you seen what giants are capable of? Of what damage the gods have caused?"

"I have faced first hand the damage of the gods, Minister," I said. "However, they don't judge based on species, on heritage, on how you were born. In that way they are better than you, because humans, normal, pure-blooded humans have caused many problems as well."

Fudge was quiet, "I don't... I don't like half-bloods."

"I'm quite aware of that fact, Minister."

"But I want to."

I paused. I hadn't been expecting that.

Fudge continued, "I'd like to believe that half-bloods and other half-breeds are quite the same as me, but they aren't. Not entirely, anyway. And that scares me more than anything."

I tilted my head, "That makes sense. I don't agree with it, but I understand. The first step to becoming better though is wanting it. And even though you don't like us all that much, I suppose you treat us humanely." I looked down at the grass. "Look at it this way. Demigods, giants, centaurs, werewolves... they all treat Muggle and wizard kind equally, even though many are quite more powerful. It's because it's what's in the head that matters, not how we were created, or who we are physically. It's just because we think, and because we think, we are. You know, I think therefore I am. Might as well not care about anything else, so long as they think. Cause then they're just another person."

Fudge nodded, "You're quite smart for someone so young."

I shrugged, "I guess I've been through a lot for someone so young."

***

The trip didn't jog my memory. All it did was make me jumpy, though I suppose I'd started something with Fudge. He was prejudiced, but he was aware of that fact, and he wanted to change. Hopefully, he'd start learning how to become more accepting.

Me and Dumbledore walked up to his office after saying our goodbyes to Moody and Fudge.

I paused outside the door to his office, "You left the Pensieve open, didn't you?"

"I suppose I did," Dumbledore sighed. "Let's go see if Harry's found himself in it."

Harry had indeed snooped and found the Pensieve. In fact, he'd stuck his head in it, and was currently peering through Dumbledore's memories.

Dumbledore went and got Harry out of it, and I noted how my friend looked quite surprised. Pale and a little confused.

"Professor," Harry started quickly, "I know I shouldn't've — I didn't mean — the cabinet door was open and —"

"I quite understand," Dumbledore said, nodding at Harry. He picked the basin up, carried it over to his desk, and sat it on top. He motioned for Harry to take a seat.

"I think it's time I head back to class, Professor," I said, smiling at Harry and Dumbledore. "Well... no, I don't feel like going to class. I think it's about time I go and mess with the Whomping Willow. I've been needing to improve my dodging skills. See you later, Alby. See ya, Harry."

"Goodbye, Percy."

I turned and walked out of Dumbledore's office. I was curious about what Harry had gone up there for, but there was the chance that it was something private. If I needed to hear about it, I would.

Plus, getting whomped by the Whomping Willow seemed very entertaining.

I was talking about how the situation in China kinda sucks right now, and Kadee was confused. I told her things weren't going well, and she called me racist. I was confused. She told me I was racist towards Chinese people. Like what?? No, China is just having a bit of a rough time. Leader guy isn't nice I don't think. She said something about how I was insulting their culture. I was not. It was a bit odd, but I think she was just trying to mess with me.

I hope you guys have had a sexy Saturday, and I'll see you on Monday. Love ya!