8) Portkey

"Er -- yeah," Harry said. He got a lot of attention, and was a bit more used to it. Still, I could tell that he always got uncomfortable when people's eyes moved to his scar, or goggled at them for a few moments too long.

"Ced's talked about you, of course," Mr. Diggory said. "Told us all about playing against you last year.... I said to him, I said -- Ced, that'll be something to tell your grandchildren, that will.... You beat Harry Potter!"

"Harry fell off his broom, Dad."Cedric looked thoroughly embarrassed. "I told you... it was an accident...."

"Yes, but you didn't fall off, did you?" Mr. Diggory roared, slapping Cedric on the back. "Always modest, our Ced, always the gentleman... but the best man won, I'm sure Harry'd say the same, wouldn't you, eh? One falls off his broom, one stays on, you don't need to be a genius to tell which one's the better flier!"

Cedric was looking down at his shoes, his eyes wide. He was shaking his head slightly, and I knew that he'd be freaking out about it when we next caught each-other alone.

"Must be nearly time," Mr. Weasley quickly checked his watch. "Do you know whether we're waiting for any more, Amos?"

"No, the Lovegoods have been there for a week already and the Fawcetts couldn't get tickets," Mr. Diggory said. "There aren't any more of us in this area, are there?"

"Not that I know of," Mr. Weasley shook his head. "Yes, it's a minute off.... We'd better get ready...."

With a bit of difficulty, we all crowded around an old boot held out by Mr. Diggory, touching it with a single finger. We sat there for a long moment, silent and waiting.

"Three..." Mr. Weasley muttered, watching his watch, "two... one..."

There was a sudden jerk behind my nasal. My feet lifted off the ground, and I could feel Hermione and Cedric's shoulders bumping into mine from the sides. We were all speeding in a hurricane of wind and color, our fingers stuck magically to the boot. I managed to share a grin with Cedric, then my feet slammed into the ground.

I tried to flatten my hair as I stared at everyone on the ground, ignoring Cedric's snickers. The only ones other than me who had stayed upright had been Cedric, Mr. Diggory, Mr. Weasley, and surprisingly enough, Ginny.

"Seven past five from Stoatshead Hill."

In front of us were two tired and grumpy looking wizards. One of them held a large golden watch, and the other had a roll of parchment and a quill. They were dressed as Muggles, sort of. The man with the watch wore a tweed suit with thigh-high galoshes. The other man wore a kilt and a poncho.

"Morning, Basil," Mr. Weasley lifted up the old boot and handed it to the man with the parchment, who through it in a large box of what I assumed to be used portkeys.

"Hello there, Arthur," Basil said tiredly. "Not on duty, eh? It's all right for some.... We've been here all night.... You'd better get out of the way, we've got a big party coming in from the Black Forest at five-fifteen. Hang on, I'll find your campsite.... Weasley... Weasley..." He stared down at the parchment. "About a quarter of a mile's walk over there, first field you come to. Site manager's called Mr. Roberts. Diggory... second field... ask for Mr. Payne."

"Thanks, Basil," Mr. Weasley said, motioning for us to follow him.

We walked for awhile, straining to see through the mist that had blanketed the place. After twenty minutes, we saw a small cottage come into view. Beyond it, I could see the shapes of thousands of tents, covering the slopes of a large field towards a dark forest on the horizon. We said goodbye to Cedric and Mr. Diggory and started toward the cottage.

There was a man standing in the doorway, and I knew he was the only Muggle around. I doubted he was even clear-sighted. When he heard us coming, he turned to look at us.

"Morning!" Mr. Weasley said happily.

"Morning," The Muggle replied.

"Would you be Mr. Roberts?"

"Aye, I would," Mr. Roberts said. "And who're you?"

"Weasley -- two tents, booked a couple of days ago?"

"Aye," Mr. Roberts nodded, looking at a list pinned to the door. "You've got a space up by the wood there. Just the one night?"

"That's it," Mr. Weasley nodded.

"You'll be paying now, then?"

"Ah -- right -- certainly --" Mr. Weasley quickly retreated to Harry for help counting the notes

"You foreign?" Mr. Roberts asked as Mr. Weasley moved back with the correct money.

"Foreign?" Mr. Weasley looked confused.

"You're not the first one who's had trouble with money," Mr. Roberts peered at Mr. Weasley. "I had two try to pay me with great gold coins the size of hubcaps ten minutes ago."

"Did you really?" Mr. Weasley questioned nervously.

"Never been this crowded," Mr. Roberts gazed out at the tents on the field. "Hundreds of pre-bookings. People usually just turn up...."

"Is that right?" Mr. Weasley held his hand out for the change.

"Aye," Mr. Roberts didn't hand him the money back. "People from all over. Loads of foreigners. And not just foreigners. Weirdos, you know? There's a bloke walking 'round in a kilt and a poncho."

"Shouldn't he?" Mr. Weasley looked confused again.

"It's like some sort of... I dunno... like some sort of rally," Mr. Roberts said. "They all seem to know each other. Like a big party."

Not even a moment later, a wizard appeared out of the air beside Mr. Roberts's front door.

"Obliviate!" The wizard said, his wand aimed at the Muggle. Mr. Roberts's eyes clouded over instantly, his brows straightening as a dreamy look crossed his face. I scowled once I realized he had had his memory altered. Shoot me if my memory is ever tampered with, I thought. I would never want that to happen to me.

"A map of the campsite for you," Mr. Roberts said simply to Mr. Weasley. "And your change."

"Thanks very much," Mr. Weasley nodded.

We started off towards the campsite, the wizard who had obliviated the man walking with us, looking exhausted. He grumbled something about Ludo Bagman to Mr. Weasley, then Disapperated.

Today is my dad's birthday. We didn't really do much. My niece is over again this weekend. It sucks cause we won't have her over for Christmas, so she can stay with her sisters. I've also been planning on having my friend over again, to finish LEGO Harry Potter. It's surprisingly fun. So is The Walking Dead game. I'm playing that with my sister right now. Sorta, she's doing something outside for a bit. Our WIFi was being super weird earlier. Um. My niece got to open her presents early. She liked the stickers I got her, and the ball Kadee got her. She also got a microphone, and her mom is gonna hate that. My dog says hi. He's adorable, I love him.

Anyway, I hope you guys have had a great Saturday, and I will see you on Monday!