chapter 22

Unfortunately, Ash found that taking it slow with Namjoon – well, besides the blow job and steamy backseat makeout – was too damn easy.

Although school was winding down for winter vacation, Namjoon's schedule became nearly impossible to permeate.  Him and the boys had award show after award show, rehearsals and preparations for Christmas specials both in Korea and overseas, and endless prep for their comeback coming in just a few short months. 

Which, by the way, was supposed to be top-secret information.  But Namjoon accidentally let the news slip to Ash and, in turn, Susie.  One night, Ash and Namjoon were facetiming, which had become their sole source of communication.  While chatting, Ash asked if he could come over any time soon for movies and, uh, cuddles.  He had sighed, tiredly rubbing his hand over his face and saying,

"I'm sorry baby, but they just tacked on three extra rehearsals for the comeback this week.  There's no way..."

"FOR THE WHAT?!"  Susie screeched from across the apartment.

Namjoon slapped a hand to his forehead, mumbled something about being the king of spoilers, and hung up before Susie could break down Ash's bedroom door.

All of this to say the poor guy was very stressed.

When winter vacation began mid-December, Ash spent most of her time at her and Namjoon's beloved café.  Since making up with Namjoon, her writing fervor had fully returned.  Being unable to see Namjoon, like, ever sucked ass, but at least Ash had a distraction when it came to her novel.  She managed to edit the work she had finished that one horrible week – it wasn't half bad! – and began making some serious headway towards finishing it. 

A few days into break, Ash was sitting at the café staring at her screen with a scowl.  There was a plot point she couldn't figure out, and it was pissing her off.  But before she could slam her laptop closed and stomp home (okay maybe she needed to work on her anger management), Ash's phone began buzzing on the table.

When she turned it over and read the caller ID, she squealed at full volume.

The barista burst from the back of the shop, her face exuding concern.

"Joesonghamnida!" Ash apologized and waved one hand at the woman while her other fumbled to answer the call.  "Hello?"

"Hey.  Are you at the café?" Namjoon asked.  He sounded breathless, and there was a lot of rustling in the background.  Ash's tummy did an excited little flip.

"Yeah, what's up?"

"Oh good, just a second," Namjoon breathed, and then the line went dead. 

Ash pulled the phone from her ear and looked at it with worry. 

What just happened?

Then, the front door of the café tinkled open, and Namjoon stumbled in. 

He was clad in full winter gear – a large puffer jacket, a thick stocking cap, and, of course, a mask.  Even though he was covered head to toe, there was no mistaking his bright smile.  Ash felt something warm in her chest at the way his cheeks squished up his eyes.  She couldn't help but smile right back.

"Joon, what – "

In the time it took Ash to mutter the two words, Namjoon strode the short distance across the café to her table.  When he reached her, he pulled his mask down under his chin, leaned down, braced himself with one hand on the table in front of Ash, gripped her jaw with the other, and pressed a hard kiss to her mouth.

For about a second, Ash melted into the kiss.  Namjoon's lips were both freezing cold and searing hot, parts of them affected by their exposure to the frigid winter air outside but the other parts radiating the same heat as the inside of his mouth.  His nose was cold too as it smooshed against hers, but when he sighed, his breath fanned warmly over her skin.