Chapter 24

Emma looked bewildered around as Ruby stopped the car in front of Granny's.

It was that Granny's was still exactly the same, but everything else had drastically changed.

"What.. uh.. what happened?" Emma asked confused as she gazed at the newly built houses.

"Regina happened. As mayor she found it necessary to get rid of the entire area in Storybrooke that was deprived," Ruby explained.

"What? Why?" Emma asked and her nose scrunched up in disgust. "It's abysmal."

"She has her reasons," Ruby said and shrugged. "Luckily, she didn't kill off Granny's yet. She's tried, though, but we refused."

"So.. my old house..?"

"Gone," Ruby replied and got out of the car.

Henry had fallen asleep in the backseat and Emma smiled at her brother. She was glad she got to see him now. After all these years.

"Okay.. what else is new?" Emma asked and softly closed the car door behind her back.

"Gay marriage is illegal," Ruby blankly said and carried Henry out of the car.

"What? So, Henry Mills did eventually change it."

Ruby chuckled and shook her head. "No, dear. This is all Regina's doing. I told you she'd changed."

Emma swallowed and watched Ruby as she carried the sleeping boy inside.

She couldn't believe it.

Emma remembered her first night connecting with Regina as though it was yesterday. She remembered the brunette telling her that she didn't want to become mayor.

She remembered the brunette telling her that the only reason she supported her father in pursuing the law, was to deny herself any happiness.

She remembered connecting with the brunette. She remembered kissing the brunette. She remembered falling in love with the brunette.

But apparently, Regina was a whole different woman now.

And if it wasn't for Emma never wanting to see Regina again, she would've made sure that the old Regina would return.

Emma followed Ruby inside the Diner and immediately noticed Granny, discussing something with someone.

"Granny?" She questioned as the old lady was in the middle of her sentence.

"Emma?" The old lady took off her glasses and smiled brightly as she came from behind the counter to give Emma a hug.

Emma's eyes didn't leave Granny for a second and she embraced the woman tightly. Now that she saw the woman again, she realized how much she'd missed her.

"Thank God, you're still alive," Granny said and released Emma.

"I'm not thanking God for anything, but I want to thank you for taking care of Henry with Ruby." As she mentioned Ruby she looked around to see where the brunette went, but before she could see where Ruby had gone, she saw the face of the person that had been discussing something with Granny.

She immediately snapped her mouth shut and glanced at Granny, before she turned around and left the Diner.

Emma had no idea why she didn't want to talk to Regina. She had had that feeling even before Ruby had told her about everything Regina had changed.

She wasn't angry with Regina - she had no reason to - but she really wanted to avoid the brunette as much as possible.

Emma sat down on a chair on the terrace outside of Granny's, and even though she knew this wasn't a very great spot to avoid someone, she didn't want to walk any further.