Chapter 9

After an hour of talking and coming up with arguments, Emma yawned and stretched her stiff legs.

"Perhaps it's time I go home. I have to work early tomorrow and I don't want to be too tired. Thanks for letting me come over, though, and for taking care of Henry."

She stood up and walked to the crib, followed by Regina. "I'd love to take care of him again. He's a cutie bean," Regina said as Emma tilted her little brother from the crib.

Emma smiled softly, but her face quickly turned serious. "I have one last question," Emma said and held Henry tight.

Regina cocked her head, waiting for Emma to continue.

"How did you know I am a lesbian?" She asked, her tone nothing but confusion.

Regina shrugged. "I don't know.. I- I just knew, I think. Just the way you look at girls and every girl in our year is so interested in boys, except you," she tried to explain.

Emma nodded slowly and rocked Henry in her arms. "Are you ever going to tell Robin?"

Regina scoffed and rolled her eyes. "You think my parents will accept that? They really expect me to marry him. I can't just go to him saying "I'm gay, see you in hell!" And then go away. He's almost as religious as my parents, he probably won't even take "I don't love you" as a proper reason to break up."

"I'm sorry," Emma replied softly. "Is that why you didn't want to sleep with him in the library? How'd he take it?"

"If my parents found out I was a lesbian and I'd slept with someone before marriage, they'd kill me twice. Of course I don't want to sleep with him, but I could use this as an excuse."

"What'd he say?"

As long as Regina wasn't fishing for more information about her, Emma found it quite okay to talk to the brunette.

She now saw that Regina was more than that popular girl in school and even though she still wasn't too fond of her, at least she started to tolerate her.

"He said he understood, but that just fooling around didn't count as losing your virginity," Regina replied and sighed. "It really disgusts me to even think of sharing the bed with him. But I don't have a choice," she muttered softly.

"There's always a choice," Emma said and she looked in Regina's eyes, longer than appropriate. "But, I gotta go now."

"Can I walk you?" Regina offered and Emma hesitated before she shook her head.

"My parents rather don't have strange people coming up to our house."

It pained Emma to lie to Regina like this and she was fairly certain Regina knew that she was lying.

"I hope you'll tell me about your parents when you're ready," was all Regina said and she followed Emma downstairs. "I enjoyed talking to you, Emma. Goodnight."

"Surprisingly, I enjoyed talking to you, too," Emma said with a soft chuckle and put Henry in his stroller. "Sleep well, Regina."

Emma slowly stepped through the doorway. Somehow, she didn't really want to leave the brunette and she didn't enjoy the feeling.

She kept her eyes on Regina as she slowly stepped back. Emma tried her best to ignore the tension in the air and her breathing increasing, so she looked down and gestured at the street.

"I really should go. Thank you for everything today," she said and her voice suddenly sounded hoarse.

"I'd gladly do it again," Regina replied with a kind smile and watched as Emma walked away.