chapter 16

*It's been a week since the baby shower and Finn and Rachel are still in Lima. Rachel's visited with her fathers and now she and Finn are back at Carol and Burt's. Rachel is lying on the couch with her head in Finn's lap.*

Carole: So remind me when you two are leaving?
Finn: I think in two days. Right, babe?
Rachel: *sleepily* Yeah, that's right.
Finn: We need to get back so I can set up the cribs and get everything ready before they're born.
Carole: That's great, but I don't want you to leave.
Rachel: Well you and Burt need to come a visit sometime. And we're going to see you in just a week, right?
Finn: Yeah, you and Burt are coming up on her due date...
Carole: Well, of course! I'm not gonna miss the birth of my first grandchildren!
Rachel: *smiles* Finn, feel... *she takes his hand and puts it on her stomach*
Finn: *laughs* They're kicking! Mom, come feel!
Carole: Wow... It's not long now you guys! Just another week or so!
Rachel: I'm ready to have them out of me! I'm so fat!
Finn: You're not fat... you're round!
Rachel: Not helping much.
Finn: *kisses her cheek* I think someone is ready for bed.
Rachel: Not before I get something to eat!
Finn: Rach, babe, we just ate like and hour ago.
Rachel: I know... but if you haven't noticed, I'm pregnant. I'm always hungry Finn.
Finn: Fine. What do you want? I'll fix it.
Rachel: Can you get me some orange juice and pizza?
Finn: *wrinkles his nose* Yeah... Okay.
Rachel: It's not gross!
Finn: *going into the kitchen* Yeah, whatever. *pours her a glass of orange juice and grabs a slice of pizza, goes back into the living room*
Rachel: Only one slice?
Finn: Are you kidding me?
Rachel: You know that I like two slices!
Finn: Jeez... *starts to get up*
Carole: Finn, baby. I'll get it.
Rachel: *glaring at Finn* Thank you Carole. You're so sweet.
Carole: *chuckles* You two are hilarious.
Finn: I think I deserve a 'thank you' too, you know.
Rachel: You only got me one slice.
Finn: Dammit, Rachel...
Rachel: ...Thanks? *quietly*
Finn: *just looks at her* *bursts out laughing* God, I can't stay mad at you! I need to work on that.
Rachel: *smiles and eats her pizza*

*Rachel finishes her pizza and falls asleep on Finn's lap while he and Carole continue chatting. Burt went to bed early because he had work early the next morning. After a while...*

Finn: Well, I guess we should probably get going. She needs to get some rest. *looks down at Rachel*
Carole: Finn, honey, it's almost eleven. Why don't you just stay here tonight?
Rachel: *snores in agreement*
Finn: *laughs* You sure? I can just wake her up.
Carole: I'm sure. It's not a problem. You can just take your old room.
Finn: Mom, it's just a twin bed. We can't fit on that!
Carole: Finn, we switched it out. There's a queen size bed and the cowboys are gone.
Finn: No more cowboys?
Carole: Baby, you're 22 years old. I think you'll survive.
Finn: Maybe...
Carole: You take her upstairs. I'll see you two in the morning. *kisses his cheek* Goodnight, baby.
Finn: Night, Mom.

*Finn carries Rachel upstairs and lays her down. He gets in bed, but can't fall asleep, so he starts talking to Rachel's belly.*

Finn: Hey kidos! How's it going? If you're wondering, Mommy and I are good. Tired, but good. It's only a few days now! Then you'll be here and I can finally hold you. I love you two. *kisses her stomach* Goodnight.