Killing Time - 70

Sebastian winced as Eva shuffled even closer. The girl had too much to drink, and couldn't get the hint. He ran out of coach on his side, so he leaned forward for his escape. There was a bottle of rum open on the table before him. His hand reached for it on its own, practiced with habit.

Not that again. He grit his teeth as he withdrew. His eyes met Zein's from across the room. The party danced to the rapid tune of a flute between them, the hand-picked soldiers of his elite squad making fools of themselves with the encouragement of music and the bitter drop.

He sat slouched in a cushioned armchair, a cigar in one hand, a glass of rum in the other, and a pearly white grin against across his dark face.

"Excuse me." Bas got up faster than Eva could protest, opening a sudden room in the overcrowded sofa. He shouldered his way between those who were too drunk to notice their captain passing, and ordered those next to them to cut off their booze supply. Their successes so far may have given a cause for celebration, but their work was yet far from finished, and they'll be back on it at sunrise.

"I don't know how I came to allow this." Sebastain said as he took a seat beside Zein.

"Come on," Zein answered, voice deep with smoke. "The place is safe. And the soldiers did good. They deserve a break."

"I just hope they can all hold their liquor down, else I'll really regret this." Sebastain said, but hearing the laughter roll, he knew he wouldn't.

They did deserve a break though. He fixed his eyes at Zein, suddenly remembering why he came in the first place.

"What was so funny before?"

"Just watching poor Eva," Zein said, the amusement in his dark eyes glinting bright as the diamond studs in his ears. "Attractive women aren't used to getting shot down."

"She's too young for me, I'm afraid." Sebastian replied, and Zein chuckled.

"Don't you mean she's too female for you?"

Bas felt blood flush his cheeks. He opened his mouth to retort, but found no words for it.

"Oi, don't look so shocked." The pirate gulped down his rum, and smirked. "It takes one to know one."

At this, Bas' blood rushed hotter, his mind backtracking. He thought Zein's prolonged stares and knowing smirks were a criminal's taunting of a lawman. But perhaps these teases were aimed at him for a whole other reason.

"You lie." Sebastain said, his blue eyes finding, and holding Zein's. For a moment, he kept his poker face, then let a grin split it.

"Aye, I lied. Stone and iron can keep me in place, but nothing can keep news from my ears. Especially news as big as the heist of Silverwood's fortune." Zein clenched his lips around the cigar, puffing. "And how it was done."

Bas's fists clenched, and his gaze hardened. Zein shifted beneath it, nervous instead of grinning, for once.

"Look, I get it. You got played, big time. Any man knows how beautiful women make their heads spin. If I were you, I would have said it was a temptress too."

It was his sister that spread the false rumor in court, but Bas' didn't give a shit about that now.

"You know him?" He asked. Zein sighed.

"Yeah, I do."

"You know where to find him?"

A pause, hesitation wringing Zein's features, and submission smoothing them. "I do."

Sebastian stood up, snatched the nearest bottle, and swigged from it.

"Get up." He said, his voice grim with command and whiskey, his eyes eager with rage. "Take me to him."