Courtesan's Love - 48

Like every day, Roxwell rose before the sun. The skies were dark blue behind the broad glass window, bathing the bedchamber in dim light. Avina slept on his chest, her arm slung across his stomach, her leg creased over his thigh, and her naked breasts snug against his side.

He looked down at her, and a smile crept beneath his mustache. She was the most beautiful queen he could ask for. But in bed, in the mornings, her blonde hair spilling without the hairdresser's schemes in it, not a touch of powder on her gentle features, and no silk or jewelry to her skin, he loved her beauty even more.

He was thirty one harvests old, a king of the realm, and to the spite of his advisors, had refused all proposals of marriage. Then the One True God had come to him. Marrying Avina was his first step to uniting Anerock.

She was fifteen years younger than him, and he had not seen her once before their wedding night. Yet their political marriage blossomed into the companionship he had dreamt of turning down all the noble maidens of his realm. Intelligent, and compassionate, Avina became his dearest advisor as well as his beloved wife. If he still had a sliver of doubt in his resolve, it cleared as he came to know the woman it had given him as queen.

She shifted in her sleep as he slipped from underneath her. He tucked her naked body in the feather blanket, brushed a lock of blonde hair from her forehead, and leaned in to kiss it. Avina smiled at him without opening her eyes.

"Will there be a morning where I will have both sunlight, and my husband, in bed?" She murmured, stretching.

"As soon as my only time of quiet won't be when the rest of Anerock sleeps." He answered, running his thumb along her cheek.

"You should've thought of that before you united Anerock, shouldn't you, my King Unitor?" She teased, and rolled onto her stomach, nuzzling a cheek into the thick pillow. "Come wake me when you break fast."

Roxwell kissed her on the side of her lips, and they curled in a hazy smile. "Will do, my queen."

He found his trousers beside the bed, and put them on. Before he left the room, he ran his hand over the brown hairs of his chest. His fingers found his amulet there, an iridescent black shard. Only after confirming the necklace was there, he left the bedchamber.

His steward, a young, dutiful man, waited for him outside, tensing upright as he emerged. "Good morning, King Unitor."

"It is hardly morning yet, Robert." Roxwell smiled at him. "What are you doing up?"

"A squad of Warhawks arrived at the King's gate, several hours ago. There are Warhawk ambassadors amongst them wishing to meet you. They claim it is most urgent, but I said they are to wait until you awake to receive your answer."

Roxwell frowned as soon as he heard of the mercenaries. Only yesterday he received a bird from one of his lords in Aurum regarding a suspicious gathering of Warhawks around Lenair Rock.

"Wake James up, tell him I said to let the Warhawk ambassadors in. I shall meet them in the throne room within the hour. Also, have my armor brought to my chambers."

"As you wish, King Unitor." Robert bowed, and turned to leave.

"Ah, Robert, one more thing."

"Yes, your highness?" The steward turned back to him swiftly.

"Had the wagon Sir Silverwood sent arrived?"

"It had, your highness."

Roxwell nodded, and absently caressed over his amulet. "Before anything else, make certain Maister Unar had received it."