Men of Light and Shadow - 16

The sea-breeze caressed Julian's bare chest and whipped back his golden hair. He stood at the very edge of the docks. Or at least what had remained of them.

He stood on their broken end, upon one of the few pieces that still jutted into the sea. Dusk slashed the horizon with orange, painting the ocean red where they touched.

Men worked at the port's ruins and boats stirred between its fractures and the sunken ships nearby. Now and then a crate was lifted from the depths and carried to the shore. Surely, another of their little attempts to prove that although they failed to find what Julian looked for, they were at least salvaging something. Footfalls knocked against the wood behind him.

"Your Highness," Raul said, a hand across his chest and head dipped in a bow. Julian's gaze lingered at the view.

"Raul, how fared your journey east?"

"The Western Tribes were successfully eliminated, your Majesty. The captive elf proved to be rather valuable, but had to be disposed of." Raul said, stepping to Julian's side.

"Losses?"

"Four-hundred and eight men dead, and one Magus, your Highness."

Julian scowled "How the fuck did you manage to lose so many?"

A high wave hit the dock's cracked rim, splashing up water towards Julian. Somehow, not a drop had wetted him.

"They fought cowardly, hid in the trees even as they burnt. Their hunters were as persistent as leeches, and their druids were a greater nuisance than we had thought. The Chieftain of the Silverthorn tribe had also managed to amass resistance that was awfully determined to delay their inevitable death.

"Two others showed when we were burning the Silverthorn Tribe. The eldest son and daughter of the chieftain, we learnt from the prisoners. They caused quite a mess until I arrived. The daughter was as powerful as the druids we expected amongst the Northern Skytalons, not in a Western-

"What came of them?"

"I killed the son and imprisoned the daughter. But a word came earlier today... She had escaped, with the aid of a wanted traitor to the realm."

"Who?"

"Kaido Blackrose."

"Again that name." Anger flashed in Julian's amber eyes.

"The soldiers stationed at the prison identified him, and a report from men sent after him came as well. They had spotted him in a tavern at the same town earlier that day, but he had overwhelmed them and escaped."

"An odd pairing." Julian sneered.

"Should I capture them for you?"

"No. The task you've been given is far more significant than these insolent pests."

Raul nodded, and Julian spoke on. "Take the Eighth and Fourth Squads of the Second Legion, two dozen of the Magi, and the First Barricade of the Mageguard. Join them with the rest of the force you've been given, and have them prepared for what they are to face in the Damuzari Woods."

"I am certain the Eastern Tribes will prove even more problematic than the Western. They will be prepared for an attack, and are led by the Vineclaws."

"You've been granted twice the Magi you had. I trust that whatever problem you encounter will become ash before it becomes a threat."

"So it shall be, your Highness."

"You have also been granted a whole Barricade. Make certain that you do not lose my Magi to these rabid foresters."

"Of course, your Highness." Raul said, and added. "On another note, the prisoners aren't as cooperative as we would have liked. Do you grant permission to use more effective methods of questioning?" Raul's white, furrowed brows rose slightly as he asked.

"Must you waste your king's time with such trivial questions?" Julian frowned at the High Magus.

"Apologies, your Highness." Raul bowed his head. "Old habits die hard."

"Pfah." Julian scoffed in contempt, and a grin deepened the wrinkles across Raul's face.

"Is there anything else you would have me do in the capital before I leave?"

"No." Julian's gaze shifted back to the sea. "I will have your report after you have disposed of the woods of the Eastern tribes."

"As you wish, your Highness." Raul took another bow then turned and left.

Darkness crept across the sea when the sun lowered towards rest below its surface. Then, far out on the surface, a torrent of water shot into the air. For a moment, a monstrous, giant tail burst from the depths.