Into the Wild - 63

"Hey, you." One of the soldiers walked up to Kaido as he sat back against a tree, watching the bonfire.

"I stood next to you in the circle, back when those fucking snakes attacked." The soldier said. Kaido nodded, although he hadn't recognized the man's swarthy, hard-nosed face. He must had been too focused on those fucking snakes.

"I saw how you leapt right for Trem, when they dragged him out." The soldier inclined his head in respect. "Good thing to do."

"It's granted." Kaido said. "We fought side by side."

"Yeah." The soldier gave Trem's memory a moment of silence, then spat. "Fucking snakes."

Kaido agreed without words.

"So, eh, a bunch of us got some old Dumbtrap cards, you want a hand?"

"Better not. You're good men. I'd hate to have your wages." Truth was, he had no coin to gamble on. Not that he wouldn't have robbed them of theirs, had he played. Just like he did in his old squad.

"Pfeh'," The soldier grinned, and gestured his direction with his chin. "We're over there, if you change your mind."

Kaido raised two entwined fingers towards the soldier as he left; a sign common amongst gamblers, wishing the Jester's luck. William used to wave it around often. Damn nostalgia, slapping him twice in a row. The blood trance was there to numb the impact though, ever so faithful.

A couple minutes later, Vera came towards him, the bonfire throwing her shadow ahead.

"I see Silverthorn had finally let you out of her sight."

"And I see Vineclaw loosened his bitch's leash."

Vera huffed in amusement, and squatted down against the tree next to him.

"So the skill with which sword gets you all her special attention, the one on your hip, or the one between your legs?"

A smirk breezed across Kaido's lips. "Why don't you ask her that?"

"I think I have tested her temper enough for one day." Vera replied.

"That will only make it funnier." Kaido looked at her. She had savage beauty about her, with the hawkish eyes, and predatory grin to her full lips.

"I am sure it will, for you."

"What," He fixed his eyes on hers. "You're scared?"

"Scared is a strong word." Vera didn't shy from his gaze. "Let's say, I'm avoiding a conflict I'm likely to lose."

"You don't seem like the easily intimidated type." He eyed her body, the firelight sheened on unclothed curves of purple flesh. "And I don't see any harm caused."

"I am afraid it was my pride to take the blow." She said, and he could hear the acrimony in the hiss of her voice.

"Better take it in the pride than in the gut."

"I'd rather take it in the gut." She said through a sneer.

"A shot at the pride doesn't crumple you to the ground, vomiting blood."

Vera grinned at that. "Fair point."

Asair approached them, his muscular frame backlit by the bonfire. He was a tall bastard, dwarfing even his own kin, and towering a full head over the tallest of the humans in the squad. Kaido had to tilt his chin up to look at him. He puffed on a pipe carved of dark wood.

"Ah, Vera," The elf called in a gush of rich pink smoke. "I see you are getting acquainted with Alora's favorite soldier."

His eyes shifted to Kaido, their glow barely a flicker, but their stare cutting like a knife. Kaido held it with ease.