Courtesan's Love - 47

Sebastian Silverwood sat at one side of a wooden table, at the other sat the prisoner. He was scrawny, but hard-eyed in the way only seasoned thugs were. His head was shaven, and the scalp torn by a variety of scars. Bas glanced down at the paper, the man's name was Derm, and he was imprisoned eight months ago.

"Can you remove my handcuffs?" Derm rattled the iron chain of his shackles. "My wrists are numb."

They never stop trying, not in eight months, and not in eight years. Sebastian shook his head. "Not yet."

"Then when?"

"After you answer my questions."

"Ah. Fuck you then."

Sebastian peered down at the paper again. "You were caught beating a man with a crowbar."

Derm shrugged. "It was self-defense."

"I am sure it was, but the judge decided otherwise."

"That motherfucker. As soon as I get out of here, I am gonna' feed the shit judge his own teeth."

Sebastian ignored his outburst. "Do you know when you're supposed to get out?"

Derm shrugged again. "Fellows here told me armed, non-lethal beating usually gets a couple of years inside."

Sebastian nodded. "That would be correct, normally."

"What'cha mean normally?"

"I mean that you were caught wearing black clothes. So I am going to make sure you are here until you're nothing but rot."

"What the fuck man, I like black, it brings out my eyes. You can't hold me in prison for that."

Sebastian slammed his hands onto the table, leaned forward, and stared the thug dead in the eye. "I can. And I will."

Anger seeped to Derm's face, twisting his mouth. He jumped up, raised shackled hands, and pointed down at Bas. "I will fucking murder you."

"Try." Sebastian leaned back in his chair, and spread out his arms. "Lay a finger on me, and instead of prison, you will spend your lifetime in the dungeon."

The threat drained the anger from Derm's face. He stared at him hatefully, then grasped his head with shackled hands, and dropped back into his seat.

"What the fuck do you want from me?"

Sebastian smiled as he heard the tone of despair in the thug's voice. "I want you to tell me everything you know about the Syndicate."

"I don't know anything about the Syndicate!" Derm shouted out.

Sebastian shrugged. "Better get comfortable in your cell then, you're gonna' spend there the rest of your life."

Derm said nothing.

"Warden!" Sebastian called, and the warden entered through the door behind Derm. He gripped the thug's shoulder.

"Wait, damn it." Derm cursed.

"What, you remembered something?" Sebastian asked.

The thug took his palms off his face and stared at him. "If I say anything, they'll kill me."

Bas gave the warden a small nod, and he left, closing the door behind him.

"That's what the others worried about too."

Derm blinked at him in surprise.

"What, you thought you were the first Syndicate men I spoke to?"