Backseat Commentator

AN: I've just come to accept that I can't write short chapters. I plan on making things brief yet I end up writing at least 3k words before I'm halfway done.

*****

The air was cool, the season getting close to winter. The forest was quiet save for the haggard breaths of those within the trees. Liang Fei was one of them

He ran as he was chased through the trees, his body slowly failing him despite all his efforts. The people chasing him were merciless, jeering as they noticed how the poison flowing through him was draining him of his strength.

Yet still, he ran forward, ignoring the blood pouring from his wounds and the numbness taking hold of him. He had to get somewhere safe, or else they would never stop. He cleared the brush of trees only to stop.

There was only a cliff.

"Where's the-" Before he could finish, he felt the dull pressure of several arrows as it pierced his flesh. Even as he lost feeling in his body, he still tried to survive, his lungs filling with blood as he coughed.

He couldn't die here.

"Un-"

No, it was too soon.

"Un-le"

Xieren was still waiting for-

"UNCLE!"

***

Liang Fei's eyes snapped open, his breathing mildly panicked as he awoke from his nightmare. Unconsciously, he reached to clutch his chest, feeling around to see if there were any arrowheads there.

With a shaky breath, he sighed in relief when he only felt his flat chest.

Sitting beside him, Suyan stared down at the man, concern evident on his small face. The man had been making a lot of noise before, gasping as if he were drowning.

Who wouldn't be scared after witnessing such a thing?

"Uncle?" He called out, relieved when he saw his companion's eyes open.

Liang Fei frowned, having not noticed Suyan beside him. "Xiao Yan?"

"Uncle, are you alright? You looked troubled and..." Troubled was an understatement. It was like he was watching a man die in his sleep. It was terrifying!

Seeing the child's worried expression, Liang Fei felt a brief rush of joy at having someone care about him.

This child was too sweet~

"I'm fine." He assured him, petting him softly. "Just... a bad dream."

Was it a dream though? That definitely was from the night he died but...

There wasn't supposed to be a cliff there.

Upon reflection, he realized there was something off about his death. He couldn't recall some details and hadn't bothered to think much of it but...

Lady Leilian had told him to go in that direction, yet there was a cliff instead.

Liang Fei said nothing, his eyes dimming as his mind drifted. Suyan, who had noticed this, could only sigh.

This uncle was too strange.

The three of them (he, uncle, and Fluffy) had been traveling together for a few days now and Suyan felt he'd come to understand this strange uncle somewhat.

For one thing, he was a ditz. If he wasn't talking, he was daydreaming. Often, Suyan would find the man staring into space, his mind far from the present. The only hint he gave to still having a soul was his habit of humming to himself. Suyan had no issue with this, as he liked the unique tempo of his melody's but it also worried him.