First and Last time

AN: At long last, I got this out. 

Woo!!

*****

Elsewhere, Xieren was doing his work as Xuejie paced around the room. While the king wished he could spend more time with his lover, he did have things he had to do. Besides, he knew Liang Fei had gone to town this evening.

While Xieren wanted to chase after him, he recalled his vow to be more trusting of his partner.

Yet this also meant he was stuck with Xuejie, who seemed to be going through some kind of existential crisis.

"You are wearing grooves into my office floor, Xuejie." He grumbled, peeking up at the human.

"You can just have it filled." The human muttered back, his scowl deepening.

Xieren had no idea what his problem was as of late. Since the day Shizun fell asleep, he's been like this. Fidgeting and wary, often avoiding He Qing despite their initial closeness. When pressed, Xuejie denies having a problem and He Qing promises to deal with it.

Neither had shown any progress and it was annoying.

He'd even sunk to asking the brat, Suyan, about it. But his words were just as annoyingly vague.

"His conscious mind and unconscious mind are in conflict so he's probably just dealing with that."

Xieren could come to a few conclusions with that statement but it wasn't his place to pry.

"Since you are so keen on moving, how about you do a small task for me?" Xieren stated, watching his friend grimace. It was clear he still wanted to mope but he knew better.

"Same as before?"

"No, there seems to be some trouble up north. Divine beast running rampant and making trouble."

At this, the human frowned with confusion, his thoughts briefly distracted by work.

"That's weird. Why would they be making trouble this time of year?" Divine beasts were generally pretty tame outside of mating season. The only other way to rile them up was by trespassing or attacking them. While there was a lot to gain from doing either, the costs were higher. "Moreover, why ask me?"

Xieren didn't bother to look up. "You know why."

"...Oh." Xuejie's expression fell as he realized the connection. "So you noticed?"

"I'm not an idiot."

Perhaps when it came to Shizun, Xieren was slow to the uptake but on other matters, he was sharp and observant. He'd have to be an idiot to not notice why Xuejie was peculiar.

"Apparently." Xuejie grimaced. "Damn it. And just when me and He-ge are having a fight."

"You could make up with him."

"Absolutely not!" He snapped back, briefly forgetting they were king and subject. "I'm dealing with a lot right now! You might be cool about it but this is a shock to me!"

At that, Xieren rolled his eyes. This guy dared lecture him about trust and rationality but got all bent out of shape after realizing he'd slept with-

"Sire!"

Two pairs of eyes landed on the hidden guard that had entered the room. There were few who dared do so and of those few, most would still ask permission to enter. The fact that this one had entered with no words meant only one thing.

It was the guard Xieren had placed on Shizun.

He might trust the man but he wasn't about to let him run about with no supervision. Especially after he ran off before.