Clarity

AN: I used to be concerned about making chapters too long cause I thought it was a hassle to my readers. Then it occurred to me that it really doesn't matter so I went 'screw it!'. My chapters will be as long as I need them to be.

**********

The two spent the next half hour in silence, neither wanting to talk about anything in particular. That and having a conversation while having ones hair washed was hard.

Xieren was content to just relax, keeping his eyes closed as he let brother's fingers run through his hair. It wasn't exactly a head pat but it might just be better. The feeling a fuzziness rushing through him was a million times better than he could imagine.

All the while, brother hummed to himself, this time a new melody. It was still weird, sounding as if he was trying to make up for other instruments by himself. The image of brother trying to play multiple instruments at once brought a smile to his face.

All too soon, their time came to an end. Another volley of water rushed over his head.

"There." Liang Fei sighed, sitting back. "You don't need me after this, correct?"

"No, but..." The child pouted with his back turned.

"But?"

"You... you aren't going to leave me here, right?" He asked, not really concerned that he'd be left behind. Big brother never left him alone, treating him like child. Really, he was the only one he'd known to treat him like one so he felt a bit reluctant to part with him. He really just wanted to act a bit spoiled and extend their time just a little.

"Xiao Li and the others wouldn't dare harm you since you are with me but no, I won't leave you." He assured Xieren, his eyes darting toward the door. "I just need to talk to Xiao Li about something."

He'd been waiting for a chance to talk to the man about the confrontation in the square. Something told him it was important.

In terms of plot, things seemed to be going smoothly. He couldn't be sure how in line with the plot he was but this event didn't seem random. Especially with the letters he'd left for An Li.

Meanwhile, Xieren's face had turned extremely sour, black as coal as he listened to Liang Fei speak.

Xiao Li... and others, he spoke of so affectionately. But with him... he remained the most distant.

"Does big brother hate me?" He grumbled, glaring at the far wall.

"Did we not discuss this already?" He sighed, a bit impatient.

"Yes but-"

"But?"

"Won't you call me Xiao Ren?" He asked, dunking his face half way into the water. He really wanted to be closer to brother. He's kind to everyone, calling out to them with affection and intimacy.

(AN: With the eyes of a dead fish but yeah, affection.)

To be the only one spoken about so distantly... But his hopes were dashed.

"No." He said, his tone cold and firm. Xieren shivered despite the warm water. Had he pressed him too hard? Fear of seeing those cold eyes made him sink into the water.

Silence fell between them, both of them in their own minds. After a minute, Liang Fei stood up.

"I'll leave you to your bath." He said, his tone as calm as ever but something else seemed to brew under the surface. "Don't stay in too long."

"Un" He nodded, though he was sure the man couldn't see it. "Sorry..."

Neither asked why the apology was said. They both knew. It's just...