Welcome back

AN: This chapter took me a while cause of a last minute revision and me falling asleep every time I tried to edit it. I try to update my stories late at night in my timezone since that seems to be the only time anyone notices an update.

*****

Much to his surprise, Xuejie stood by as Xieren carried his lover in his arms the next morning. It was such a touching moment, with Xieren's loving gaze falling onto his sleeping partners' face like he was the light of his life. If anyone was on the other side of such a look, that person would have no doubt in their mind that they were loved.

Yet watching this, Xuejie just felt the desire to facepalm.

Why? Why was his super cool, cold-hearted bro looking at this guy like he hung the stars?! He was the goddamn demon king, feared throughout the lands and respected by those who knew their place. Yet here he was, staring at this guy like a lovesick puppy.

Where had he gone wrong? He thought, sighing listlessly.

"Anything to say, Xuejie?" Xieren asked, seeing the resignation on his second-in-command's face. The human was clearly uncomfortable with all this.

But since when was that Xieren's problem.

Xuejie knew this was how his king felt and could only swallow his mild envy as he shook his head.

"Nothing at all, Your majesty."

"Shall we depart, your Majesty?" He Qing interjected, giving his bodyguard an opportunity to leave. 

Xuejie gave a silent nod of thanks before leaving to secure the area. He Qing watched him go, his mind briefly drifting elsewhere.

At any other time, perhaps Xieren would have allowed this, amused by the notion that he was not the only one with peculiar interests but today was not one of those days. It was winter and Shizun was only mortal. The cold could kill him. Even as the elder was wrapped up in blankets, the cold air hit his exposed face, making it red. 

"He Qing!"

"My apologies, Your Majesty." The human bowed, inwardly chastising himself for getting distracted. "Please follow me."

The two left the hotel, the dim light of the rising sun illuminating their path. The early morning air was quiet and chilly, making the sleeping man snuggle closer to Xieren. His body might not be stationary when on a flat surface but regardless of his sleeping habits, he would always seek out the warmest thing when needed.

His body had no clue what this large warm thing was but he was damn well going to snuggle as close to this thing as possible.

Xieren felt pleased, pressing a warm kiss to his lover's forehead as they walked.

Sometime later, they arrived at a clearing. The light from the canopy filled the area and revealed the divine beast they'd be riding to return home.

The beast was magnificent, its scales glimmering in the light. Had Liang Fei been awake, perhaps he'd have marveled at the beauty of the creature. Maybe it would have distracted the man enough to forget that it would be carrying him through the air for however long it'd take.

But Xieren had been very thorough, determined to wake up with his master in his arms so he made sure not to hold back.

Liang Fei had been equally as determined, wanting his student to knock him out for as long a trip as necessary.

It was a win-win but a strange turn of events for those observing the two.

Xieren entered the palanquin, gently resting his master down beside him so he could rest. While he'd like to hold his master the entire trip, he knew his master wouldn't remain still now that they were in a pleasantly warm room.