Meeting a System

AN: Just a note, this chapter is not really edited like... at all so if you spot mistakes, think of it as your duty as a community to let me know so that my story is readable to the public. Thanks in advance.

********

Liang Fei woke up... confused.

Where am I? He thought, looking around. There was nothing but mist and grey as far as the eye can see. His body felt light and not really there.

(AN: Have I just given up my attempt at mimicking? Meh, you guys decide.)

He tried to remember how he'd gotten there but his last memory was just feeling really tired for some reason and falling asleep. Was he dead? He must be but how did he die? He mentally listed out the ways one could die in a house that would cause him to fall asleep. There were quite a few. He then thought of that loud beep he could have sworn he heard some time before he felt drowsy.

"Carbon monoxide poisoning." He muttered, less upset than he should be. He wasn't happy about being dead but it's already happened so what was the point of panicking? There were worse ways to go. At the very least, it was painless.

(AN: Fei is a bit of a pragmatist, as you can see.)

Setting that aside, he now wanted to know where he was. After looking around for a bit, he saw something coming toward him. What it was, Liang Fei had no clue. I looked like a ball of silver fluff but shiny. When it got close enough, it spoke, shocking him.

[Howdy! How are ya doing, host?] It asked, its tone upbeat and whimsical. Well, it would be if it didn't sound so forced. It reminded him of those falsely cheery cashiers he saw in stores.

"Fine... I guess." He answered, not sure what to make of this situation. "Who are you?"

[Me? Personally, it doesn't matter but you can call me 'System Q', if ya want.] Liang Fei frowned, feeling more lost than before.

"System? What's that?" His question was met with silence.

[...Host doesn't know?] It asked, seemingly taken aback at his question. Was it expecting him to know? [Well, if host must know, systems kind of run a business of choosing hosts to inhabit in order to perform tasks. That's what this system offering you.]

"And why should I accept this?" He asked, cocking a brow though something said he should go along with this. It felt like this was the best bet for him. Still, something felt off. The little fluff ball huffed

[You want to stick around here? Fine, host can do that but you'll soon fade away into nothing.] It stated, circling around the young man. [Host's best bet is to form a contract with this system. Doesn't' host want to go into their favorite fantasy novel?!] It pressed, convinced the host would say yes. Every other host did when given the chance to go into a fantasy world.

Except this one.

"I don't read fantasy novels." He replied, frowning in confusion. System Q stopped, tension radiated off the little ball of fluff as silence fell.

[Pardon?] It asked, it's tone a lot less friendly than before. It reminded Liang Fei of the tone his boss used just before he started scolding a co-worker to tears.

"I don't read fantasy novels." He repeated, staring at System Q as his words sunk in. For a moment, there was only silence as the two stared at one another. Liang Fei frowned when he briefly heard the rustling of papers being shuffled coming from System Q just before it spoke again.

[Your name, its Liang Mei, right?] It asked calmly, watching the young man frown in confusion.

"No, that's my sister" He replied. "I'm Liang Fei."