Inosuke || Like this (angst)

(Female reader)

"I should've known you were lying when I told you not to go."

"Inosuke! Inosuke! Guess what!" She called, clinging to her boyfriend.

"What?" He replied, shoving her off gently.

"I'm going on a mission with Rengoku-san! Isn't that cool?!" She announced, a toothy grin adorning her soft features.

"What? You're going where? With who?" He said, looking at the girl as if she was crazy.

"I was invited to go on a mission with Rengoku-san, the Flame Hashira! They said it was to help train me to become a Hashira myself!" She cheered, her eyes glistening with joy.

"No you aren't." He said bluntly, going back to aggressively sharpening his blades.

"What?! How come?!" She whined, shaking her boyfriend back and forth. He growled in annoyance, dropping his swords and turning to face her.

"Because I said so." He said, stopping her hands from shaking him by intertwining them with his own.

"Well too bad! I'm going and you can't stop me!" She said, sticking her tongue out at the boy. This made him growl again, reaching up to her face and pinching her cheeks.

"Ow! Fine! I'll tell him I can't go." She pouted, swatting his hands away from her face.

"Good." He replied, taking the boar head off and placing it beside them. He shook his head to get the hair out of his face and went back to lock eyes with his girlfriend.

"You know, you're really pretty under that mask. Why don't you take it off more often? I like seeing your face." She commented, reaching out to brush his fringe out of his face.

"I'm not pretty. I'm handsome. Get it right." He huffed, cheeks heating up at her words. She giggled before cupping both his cheeks with her hands.

"Fine, you're handsome. Very handsome at that." She said, pecking his lips quickly before getting up and happily skipping away, leaving the flustered boy behind.

"I should've known you wouldn't listen."

"WHAT?! SHE WENT WHERE?!" He shouted, earning a hard bonk from the boy beside him.

"Yeah, Y/N-chan left with Rengoku-san earlier this morning." Zenitsu said, mouth full of rice as he munched away at his food.

"AND YOU DIDN'T THINK TO STOP HER?!" The ravenette earned another hard bonk from the boy next to him.

"Stop yelling Inosuke!" Tanjirō scolded him and bonked him one last time. Inosuke growled and rubbed the forming lump on his head.

"Mmm no? Why would I stop her? She seemed pretty happy to go. Plus, she gets to fight with a Hashira." Zenitsu continues, scoffing down more food after he finished speaking.

"Argh you idiot! You should have told her to stay!" Inosuke growled, slamming his fist down on the table.

"Inosuke." Tanjirō warned, glaring daggers at the ravenette.

"How come?" Zenitsu asked, eyebrows furrowed in confusion as he stared up at his angered friend.

"Because! She could get hurt out there! Hashira's don't go on the same missions we do, Monitsu! They're missions are a lot more difficult and a lot further away!" Inosuke said, crossing his arms across his chest in frustration.

"And you don't think Y/N-chan can handle that? Come on, have a little more faith in her. She's a lot stronger than you think." Tanjirō chimed in, finishing his meal before the other two. Inosuke huffed at his comment.

"Yeah, and a lot stronger than you." Zenitsu mumbled to himself, eating the last bit of rice in his bowl.

"The hell you say?" Inosuke growled, glaring harshly at the blonde in front of him.

"Nothing!" Zenitsu screeched before getting up and running away from the two boys.

"Come back here you Monitsu!"

"I wish I could've known."

"It's been a week! Where the hell is she?!" Inosuke shouted, groined angrier by the second.

"They're probably making their way back now. You said it was a long way away, didn't you?" Tanjiro said, attempting to calm his friend.

"Yes....but it doesn't take this long..." He huffed out, the panic in his chest never seizing. He was terrified, worried that something had happened to her.

"She'll be okay, Inosuke. Besides, she's with a hashira, he'll make sure she comes back safely."

"I wish you would've told me."

"Oi, where's ya little girlfriend? Huh?" The gruff voice made the boy tense up.

"On a mission." Inosuke huffed, not wanting to deal the the wind pillar now. He was already anxious enough as it is.

"Oh yeah. The one with Rengoku, yeah?" Sanemi sneered, leaning his shoulder against the wall next to the younger boy.

Inosuke was silent.

"Ya know, I'm pretty sure they sent her there just to make some space here. I mean, heck she isn't even that strong. I'd be surprised if that little flower comes back in one piece. Or as a piece at all." Sanemi chuckled to himself, amused by his own words.

Inosuke gripped the handles of his swords and took a deep breathe. The pillar's words were getting on his nerves. She wasn't weak, she was far from it.

"I wouldn't be surprised if Rengoku ditched her somewhere because she was dragging him down. What a dead weight." The pillar smirked, knowing his words were getting to the boy.

But Inosuke was silent.

He took a deep breathe and decided to be patient. She was going to come back. She had to.

Sanemi scoffed, displeased at the lack of reaction he had gotten from the boy and walked away.

"I wish it didn't end..."

"I'm sorry, she fought well. However, I was unable to protect her. I'm deeply sorry." The flame pillar kneeled before the boy, his head bowed down.

Inosuke stared at the sword and haori in his hands, unable to process words at that point. His mind went blank and all he could hear was the sound of his own breathing.

"Inosuke..." Tanjirō said, his eyes clouded with sympathy as he inched towards his broken friend. The same with Zenitsu, they both made their way towards him.

"I'm sorry that I was unable to keep her safe. My deepest condolences go to you." Rengoku said, standing up and bowing one last time before walking away.

The two boys stood in front of their friend, tears clouding their own eyes as they watched him fall to his knees, hugging the items into his chest.

Loud sobs erupted from the ravenette, his shoulders shaking violently as his loud cries echoed through the air. Tanjirō and Zenitsu both broke down as well, them all crying at the loss of their dear friend.

"Like this."

The End

Unedited
Words: 1125