A Talk

—-Loki—-

As I leave the room to speak with Ingfred I can tell he is overwhelmed by some of the same emotions I had experienced myself upon learning my true heritage. This is why I couldn't just pretend not to care like I usually would. His story is too similar to mine and I couldn't ignore it, if I'd tried the guilt of not at least trying to help this young man would've consumed me. He stammers as we enter a empty meeting room.

"I... I don't know where to start."

The poor child sounds overwhelmed about everything and is fidgeting nervously as we take a seat. I try to be reassuring and say what I would've wanted to hear and do what I would've wanted someone to do for me.

"Calm down, just tell me everything and I will listen patiently."

Ingfred goes on to tell me how he was raised believing he was a Vanir couple's only son to find out he had been taken in as a baby long ago. He was rejected by his birth parents for reasons unknown and found by his adoptive parents in the wilderness on the brink of death. He ran away in anger when he learned this and joined the Marauders in search of somewhere he felt he could belong. He paused briefly before uttering a last statement sounding as completely confused and defeated as I once did having a similar thought.

"I just don't understand why they didn't tell me."

Ingfred isn't only in tears but is sobbing at the conclusion of this statement and I'm not entirely sure what to do it goes without saying Sam is better at dealing with this kind of thing than I am. I'll try. I lean closer to him.

"Hey, It's alright... I know. It hurts and it was wrong for them to hide it from you, selfish and stupid of them to hide it from you, you had every right to know and they were wrong to keep it from you. ...Ingfred I understand how angry you are but please don't discount my advice when I tell you you should still return home to them."

Ingfred looks absolutely furious at the suggestion he speaks with a bitterness much like my own and much like me I feel he must know his words aren't the truth.

"Why? I'm not theirs it's not as if I mean anything to them. My mother was infertile and my father wanted a son that's all there is to it."

He's spiting venom frustrated by this revelation.

"You don't mean that."

He looks at me now even angrier.

"What would you know?!"

I can't be mad at this reaction honestly I probably would have reacted worse when I was dealing with this.

"Let's just say I've been through something similar."

I neither want to tell him my whole story nor do I think he needs to hear it all. Ingfred is silent but still angry he's looking at me questioningly wanting me to go on. I'm not going to go into further detail. I switch gears.

"I'm sure they're worried over you."

"Why would they be?"

His anger falters a little as he asks certainty already knowing the answer.

"If they took you in they must have cared for you even though they made this mistake and it hurt you they still care for you... take it from me you should go back to them and make amends now... you may not always have a chance to."

I'm fighting my own emotions as I say this thinking of my mother and even somewhat regretting not making amends with my father though he was unfair and sometimes cruel some part of him loved me. Ingfred looks a bit moved by my words.

"I... I've been gone for over a decade. Do I dare go back after all this time?"

I nod glad he's considering it.

"They may be a bit angry you worried them but it would be worth it."

Ingfred looks to be in a battle with himself.

"I... I do miss them..."

He sighs reaching a decision.

"I'm not ready to face them today, maybe after some rest?"

I'm happy he's decided not to make the same mistake I did.

"Of course. We can come back tomorrow with Thor."

We accompany him to the compound then leave with Thor. Finally I get to go home and be alone with Sam. I'm quickly reminded I forgot about a certain mortal when we reach the door.

"Loki! Loki! Loki! Watch this!!"

It's Mary she's come bounding to the door at our arrival and is overly excited over something. I can't help but smile at this. Not many people are this excited at my presence.

"What?"

She performs a summoning spell perfectly and is holding the dagger I gave her in her hand.

"I did it! I finally did it!"

I chuckle as I look at her fondly.

"I can see that, I knew you'd get it miting."

She beams at me proud with her accomplishment. I return a proud smile though it's a simple spell, she had been very frustrated by it and I had been afraid she might give up on it, instead she continued practicing like I told her to. Sam and I get ready for bed and after a brief discussion about everything that had happened over the past few days we turn in for the night. We both sleep soundly for the first time in days.