Chapter Eleven

(Stephen)

I am about to kill Derek, I cannot believe he just thinks he can waltz into Lori's apartment and demand she go with him, grant it he has the right since he knows, that Lori must be around two alpha males, and that is me and unfortunately Derek as well.

 He knew what he was doing as he called to her wolf to show that he could be a mate if she accepted him as one. The full moon was two weeks away and he wanted her for a damn week. I could not say anything as she stood there watching him leave, taking a deep breath I let it out and walked over to the kitchen and threw out breakfast since it was cold now.

 Grabbing my stuff, I turned around and looked at Lori, what could I say to her, she already agreed to the week with him, and her wolf knew me and how we felt but it was up to her and her wolf, if they both decided to take one of us as a mate. I really hoped she would come to her senses and decide against it, but from the look on her face she did not know what to say, so I walked over to her and kissed the top of her head. 

"I will see you in a week, call me when you get back if you so wish." Grabbing the door handle I was going to say something but decided against it, what could I say, I was not a weak wolf by any means, and I was not going to beg her to stay. 

She made the choice, and by our laws that was the final word. I walked out and shut the door, standing there for a moment deciding if I should go back in there and spend the two days, she had with him, but I could not do that to me or my wolf, he was already upset at this whole thing. Getting in my car I looked up at her window and saw her standing there, with her hand against the window Paine.

 I decided to just put the car into drive and took off not looking back and that was killing me, but I decided to take a trip that was long overdue, was going to visit my friends in Montana for the week and I was leaving tonight, no way could I stand being in the office while she was there. Too much could go wrong, and I knew Derek would be there and I was forbidden to start anything with him while I was not alpha yet. 

Once home I saw that I had three text messages from Lori asking if I was okay, if I was going to be at work, and if she was going to see me for the two days before she went to Derek's, I replied one word to all three "NO" and I turned off my phone and put it on the charger while I went and packed.

 I called my dad on the other cell phone I used for pack business and explained what was going on and where I was headed, needing to get out of the city and into the wild so my wolf could have the freedom he needed, dad said he understood and to stay connected and he would go over the rules with Derek, like that would do any good I thought but just told dad okay.

 Heading out the door the only cell phone I took was the pack business one, I was not going to take the one that Lori had, too many emotions with that and this week was going to be rough enough without her being by my side. But me and my wolf had to come to terms that she may choose him over us, and my wolf howled a long lonely one deep inside of me, as a tear escaped as I headed out of the city to Montana which was a state away. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Lori)

One word to answer all three of my texts, "NO" I sat there and cried over Stephen, for some reason it felt like a dam had broken inside of me, I could not stop crying. My wolf was not happy she wanted to be with him, but unfortunately cause of this stupid law.

 Derek invoked the right to spend a week with me and he chose his place for that to happen, and my wolf accepted his wolf but that does not mean I have to accept the man, for if I did not accept the man there was no accepting any of him as a mate, and my wolf knew this. 

She urged me to at least see what Derek was like away from work and in his home, he might surprise us she whispered in my head. Only time will tell I guess, but I did not want to do anything right now anyway but mope around and feel sorry for myself, which I know is not a good thing to do, but I was still going to do it. 

I decided to call into work saying I was still sick and needed the day off which I was given, and as soon as I crawled into bed my phone rang, picking it up hoping it was Stephen, but it was his dad instead, "Lori, I know right now things must feel so confusing and out of place", "It is Mr. Heart, I'm not sure about any of this, but Derek said cause of the old laws I had to at least uphold what was asked of me, I am torn.

 I want to see what Derek is like, but my wolf wants Stephen here as I do as well," I cried to him, he felt more like a father figure than my own father and I did not care if I was crying on the phone. 

"It will be okay Lori, you take the two days off of work, and spend the week with Derek, he is a good man, and his wolf is also an honorable one, unfortunately our laws do say you have to give each of the alpha's time to see who would make the best mate, and since Stephen will become alpha soon, that is why he is in this.

 I do know my son loves you, and you must love him as well for how you and your wolf are acting as if the world is ending which my dear is normal, I want you to know that you can call me night or day if you need me at any time. I wasn't supposed to tell you this per Stephens wishes, but I will, he is spending the next week in Montana at a friend's farm, he has known this man since childhood and has over two hundred acres of land so Stephen can let his wolf run free."

 I sat there taking a deep breath, now I know why he said no to the texts, "Thank you Mr. Heart I appreciate everything, and I have your number in my contacts and will call you every so often to let you know how I am".

"Sounds good my dear, get a good night's sleep and take time for yourself tomorrow, good night, Lori" And before I could say good night he hung up. 

Putting my phone on the charger, I turned over and took the pillow Stephen slept with and inhaled his scent, with a few more tears escaping my body decided it was time to sleep and I drifted off before I knew what it was doing.