Chapter 4

Fenris trembled in the corner of the cell he had been dumped into. The days and nights had bled together since he had been brought to this hellhole. To the point that he didn't even know what day it was. His body was covered in a menagerie of cuts and bruises as well as the occasional bite mark. The creature that had kidnapped him relished when he screamed and drank his blood until it was sated. But it was not a vamp. It was some nightmarish creature with skin the color of old parchment and eyes the color of fresh blood. Though what confused him the most was that it spoke mostly in the Old Tongue.  A dead language from a time long past.

Manical laughter echoed from somewhere and Fenris felt what blood he had left drain from his face. His tormentor had returned. Utter terror, flooded his body causing it to start trembling uncontrollably as he reached for the shackles around his ankles and yanked on them feebly. One moment he was along, and in the next the monstrosity stood in front of him. Dried blood covered its mouth and ragged black leathers covered its lean muscular frame. Ash blonde hair was cropped close to its skull. Leaving those unnerving eyes able to take in what he had been trying to do. A feral growl rumbled in its chest followed by it hissing out vehemently. "Did ye honestly think that I would let my prey escape from me so easily little Fae. Our time together is just getting fucking started..."

Hearing it speak in heavily accented English had Fenris warbling out apology after apology as it herded him against the wall. The chains rattled against the floor as he moved. But there was only bloodlust and insanity etched into the cruel lines of its face. Just as his back met the wall, the creature was on him, it's fangs buried deep in his throat. A broken scream was ripped from him as utter agony flooded his battered body. He tried to shove it away but the devil that it was took ahold of his wrists and pinned them cruelly above his head. Serena came awake with a jolt and bit back a curse as she was blinded by the sunlight streaming into her room. Rolling over onto her back she glared up at the ceiling. Memories from last night played out in her mind and she let out a soft groan.

Death was never going to let her forget that she had slept with him. Being the vain God that he was. Needing to get some fresh air, Serena maneuvered herself out of bed and padded across the room butt ass naked towards her closet. Once inside it, she grabbed a blood-red v-neck shirt, dark jeans, and lingerie set in the same color as the shirt. As well as a pair of dark brown leather knee-high boots. It took her all of three minutes to get dressed, and then she left her room and headed for the door. Snatching an apple off the counter on her way out. She bit into the firm flesh and let out a satisfied moan. Liam had picked out some good ones for her from the market. The next time she saw him, she needed to thank him. And make sure she had plenty of the honey candy that he liked so much the next time she watched him for Francesca.

A tender smile slowly spread across her face as she thought of the young dwarf. He had been such a little brat when they had first met, but over time they warmed up to each other. And were now the best of friends. The flames grumbled at her happy mood as she made her way into town. Waving at friends and neighbors as she made her way through the crowds. It honestly seemed like today was turning out to be a great day. But the Fates always found a way to fuck her over. She didn't have time to brace herself as a crossbow bolt slammed home deep into her right shoulder. Sending her sprawling onto her back. Several terrified cries sounded out and then everyone was running in a panic to avoid getting shot.

Grimacing, she managed to roll over onto her side and just barely missed getting trodden on by a spooked Satyr. Serena weakly grabbed ahold of the bolt and gave it a feeble tug. "Son of a bitch!!" The curse came flying past her lips as white-hot agony coursed through her veins. Blood coated her left hand and the cobblestones beneath her a vibrant red and shadows were quickly gathering along the edges of her sight. Forcing herself to maneuver onto her knees proved to be a chore but she managed it somehow. Chest heaving, she scanned the crowds to try and pin point where the arrow could have possibly come from. And that was when the second bolt punctured through her abdomen. Crying out in pain, Serena willed herself to stay upright. Her limbs trembled with the burden and the noises around her dulled slightly.

Swallowing audibly, she then called out weakly to her assailant or assailants. "How long do you cowards plan on hiding huh? Until I've passed out from blood loss and am unable to put up a fuss." Dark laughter reached her ears, followed by a male voice responding. "That would be ideal Serena, but there are others seeking you out today and our masters would be very disappointed in us if we failed our task in capturing you." As the world began to spin, she manages to growl out. "And who may I ask is your master?" Feminine laughter sounded at that and Serena found her gaze drawn to the roof of an abandoned florists shop. A slip of a woman sat there on the edge of the roof. Dressed in a simple green tunic and brown trousers the woman offered her a wolfish grin.

Though it was what rested in her lap that had Serena glaring murderously up at her. The bow was of elvish make at least that was her guess. As another fresh wave of pain coursed through her. Serena had to grit her teeth to keep from crying out. The flames hissed and spat within her mind waiting impatiently to be called forth. A wet cough wracked through her body and the shadows spread further along the edges of her sight. Blood dripping down her chin, Serena absentmindedly wrapped a hand around the shaft of the arrow protruding from her shoulder. And then without warning yanked it free. A sharp cry razed her throat raw as the arrow shredded the muscle on its way out. Tossing the arrow away from her, she then turned her attention back onto the woman. Who had been joined by a giant of a man dressed similarly to her.

Where the woman was pale and fair with light blonde hair that cascaded past her shoulders and green eyes. He had skin that looked like it had been kissed by the sun and dark hair brushed the collar of his dark green tunic. Piercing blue eyes clashed with hers as they took in her condition. The man shook his head in irritation and then pinned the woman with an icy glare. He then rumbled out fiercely. "Did you really have to shoot her twice, Iris, our orders were to only incapacitate her and then bring her to the underworld." The woman known as Iris rolled her eyes at the man and then slowly got back on her feet. Resting her bow against her right shoulder, she then responded back testily. "I didn't feel like getting burned to a crisp, been there done that. Now let's retrieve our prize before Death shows up."

Serena let out several curses at that and struggled to make it back onto her feet. But the blood loss and the crossbow bolt still embedded in her side had her falling onto all fours. Pained whimpers leaking past her lips. One minute she was alone and in the next. She was being hauled back onto her feet by the man and Iris. They placed her arms over their respective shoulders then began walking at a slow pace. The flames roared within her head and began thrashing about viciously. Her body tensed up as they brushed up against her wounds causing utter agony to course through her veins. The shadows leaped at the chance and flooded her sight and dragged her down into the darkness. Iris muttered several foul curses under her breath as the mage's skin heated to an almost unbearable degree.

She then hissed out vehemently. "Would you hurry up and open the portal already Belarus!!" A throaty chuckle echoed around them followed by him replying back lightly. "As my lady commands." He raised his free hand and drew several symbols into the air. Which soon shimmered before them and all too soon the portal opened. Tightening their hold on the mage, the three of them stepped through the portal leaving the mortal world behind them. It fizzled out in a shower of sparks and the only evidence that there had been a fight at all. Was the puddle of Serena's blood staining the ground. The sound of approaching footsteps echoed across the cobblestones. And soon Death stepped out of the shadows, a murderous expression plastered across his face. He knelt down before the puddle and rumbled out. "Don't worry Rena, I'm coming for you."