Chapter 3

Serena came awake with a groan. It felt like someone had stuffed her head with steel wool. The flames cackled at her discomfort and ratcheted up the heat causing a fine layer of sweat to bead on her skin. Cracking one eye open, she perused the room and soon let out a sigh of relief. When she saw that she was blissfully alone for the first time since she had been brought to this house. She maneuvered herself into a slightly more comfortable position. And reluctantly called out softly. "Death, I know you're out there somewhere. Now please reveal yourself to me." The air seemed to shimmer at the end of the bed and where once there was nothing.

Now stood Death dressed in a navy blue suit with dark brown leather loafers covering his feet. A timid smile hovered at the corners of his mouth as he took in her condition. The silence became almost unbearable and she almost broke it. When he suddenly rumbled out. "It has been quite some time since I've seen you lose control like that Serena..." Memories from what seemed like a lifetime ago now floated through Serena's mind. Terrified screams rent the air, buildings all ablaze, the smells of smoke and burning flesh coated her tongue. Though what rattled her to her core was the unfiltered rage that had burned throughout her body that day. A buzzing sound quickly filled her ears and she suddenly found it hard to breathe.

"Rena!!" The nickname that Death had given her all those years ago rebounded around the room. And in the next breath, he was clambering onto the bed and gathering her in his arms. He murmured soothing words in her ear as he rocked her gently. A broken sob worked its way passed her lips and she vaguely felt the wetness of tears trailing down her face. Burrowing her face against his neck, she begged of him. "Take me anywhere but here, please~" Death snarled out several foul curses, and soon after a bright white light filled her line of sight.  She closed her eyes against it and tightened her hold on him. Time seemed to come to a standstill for several brief seconds. Until Death rumbled out gently. "You can let me go now love, you're back home now."

While some large part of her wanted to indulge in that. She found that she couldn't, no matter how hard she tried her limbs wouldn't obey her. The scent of roses started coming off of Death in waves as he rasped out. "If I could take those memories from you I would love." A shudder racked through his body before he continued. "I'm ashamed that I left you to fight four gods and goddesses by yourself and people lost their lives because of it." Letting out a ragged sigh, she finally manages to pull her face from his neck and rasps back sadly. "What happened that day will forever be my burden to bear Death. You have no reason to feel guilty for what happened because I stupidly sent you away. I was a cocky young mage back then who thought she could take on the world and got my ass beat because of that cockiness."

She offered him a small smile and then maneuvered herself out of his hold and slowly made her way back onto her feet. Padding across the hardwood floors, Serena took in the sight of her simple flat of an apartment. Thankfully Thor hadn't come here to look for her. Since nothing seemed to be out of place except for the basket of groceries sitting on her kitchen table. She made a mental note to thank her neighbor Francesca and her son Liam the next time she saw them. The dwarves had been nothing but kind to her since the first day she had moved in here six years ago. Being that Francesca was the landlady, she or Liam would sneak in and leave things for her to find. Either groceries or some kind of small trinket they had found in the market that particular day.

Their kindness had made some of her darker days brighter because of it. So she always tried to reciprocate their kind gestures by giving them extra money when she paid rent. Or watched Liam and his siblings whenever Francesca had to leave town. Setting about putting the groceries away, she absentmindedly called out to Death. "So, how long do you plan on hanging around this time, because I promise you that I'm ok now." The temperature in the room seemed to drop several degrees and she sensed him behind her before he even spoke. "You and I both know that's bullshit sweetheart. You need to let the darkness out before it devours you whole and it's only a matter of time before it does." A shiver of fear trickled its way down her spine as she slowly turned around to face him.

Where once the man stood, now was an 8-foot tall skeletal nightmare dressed in black robes with a scythe strapped to his back. Serena despised whenever Death was in this form because he was unreasonable and looked like he wanted to devour her body and soul. Swallowing audibly, she manages to get out weakly. "Please don't do this..." Those black holes where his eyes should be narrowed. Followed by him rasping in a voice that had the hairs on the back of her neck stand at attention. "We can lick our wounds together Rena, and this time I'm not taking no for an answer." Then as quick as a snake, he had her draped over his left shoulder and was marching back towards her bedroom in the back of the apartment.

Serena hurled every curse she could think of, and when that didn't work. She began thrashing about like a wildcat but all that did was cause him to chuckle darkly. He soon was passing through the doorway into her room. As a last-minute play to stop this, she grabbed onto the doorframe and held on for dear life. Though that lasted until her grip weakened and he managed to pull her free. Once they were inside, Death kicked the door shut behind him with a bang. Like a man on a mission, he headed straight for the bed where he dumped her onto it unceremoniously. Where she bounced, once, twice before sprawling onto her back.

She went to push herself up but he was on top of her before she could get too far. He rumbled out harshly. "For one night, and one night only, you belong to me, Serena." And with that said he crushed his lips against hers despite her hiss of protest. In a vain attempt, she placed her hands on his chest to try and push him off. But to her dismay, he didn't budge. Her body tensed as she felt his skeletal hands make their way underneath her shirt and cup her breasts roughly. Though soon enough she was putty in his hands and moaning loud enough for her neighbors to hear her. Not giving a damn, she closed her eyes and gave herself over to her passions. Relishing in the pleasure he gave her and enjoying the noises he made whenever she touched a particularly sensitive spot.

They went at it until the sun was just starting to peek through the curtains of her bedroom window. And they were both covered in sweat. The covers of the bed we're thrown haphazardly over the both of them. He laid a kiss to the top of her head and murmured sleepily. "I need to head out sweetheart, but I promise I'll keep in touch." Serena couldn't even move as he maneuvered himself out of her grip and then out of the bed. Death stood there in his birthday suit for several brief seconds before a dark blue tank top and black sweatpants covered his body. She murmured something back to him but she was so exhausted she could barely keep her eyes open. Death offered her a cheeky grin and in the next breath, a bright light filled her room causing her to let loose several foul curses. Though as soon as it happened it quickly faded away.

And she found herself alone, burrowing beneath the covers Serena growled out softly. "Show off..." A throaty chuckle floated in on the breeze as she fell into the first peaceful slumber in a long, long time.