The Blackrose Legacy - 56

Start from the beginning

"I am Bonnie." The boy smiled at him. A bit too wide of a smile.

"Yeah... I am looking for a necklace." Kaido looked around the display.

"A special necklace, or just something to give to the farmer's girl your father set you up with?"

"A special one. As special as I could afford." Kaido's eyes scanned the necklaces. There was every combination you could think of, chains of every metal and pendant with gems of every color. But Kaido couldn't afford anything with a gemstone, and ones without one looked too simple and bleak.

"How much do you have, then?"

"Thirty one silvers."

"Special costs more than change." Bonnie answered absently, and flipped a page in his book.

"Have you forgotten that you're trading in the Copper Fleas?" Kaido looked to the boy with a frown. A necklace he was toying with caught Kaido's eye. Its delicate, silver chain was coiled between the boy's fingers, and its pendant swayed, silver molded into the shape of a blossoming flower, outlines with ever so thin lines of gold. He could already see it on Siera's chest.

"How much for that one?"

Bonnie's eyes flicked up from his book. "You don't want that one."

Kaido scowled in annoyance. "Why not?"

"Because it's cursed."

"Cursed how?" Kaido asked, doubtful.

Bonnie looked between the necklace and Kaido as he dangled it from side to side. "You will play the game of a god before you put it around your loved one's neck. And they will wear it for the rest of their life."

Kaido's nose wrinkled at that steaming pile of bullshit, but he still wanted a cut at the price, so he played along.

"Which god?"

"That or the other." Bonnie shrugged. "I really don't remember."

"Sounds as much as a blessing as a curse to me." Kaido said.

"Perhaps," An unnerving smile slit into the boy's cheeks and glinted in his yellow eyes. "If you're optimistic enough."

-

Siera's mouth gaped in a silent yawn as she trudged down the stairs. Rake sat shirtless at the table, all hard muscles and silvery scars. He leaned back in his chair, arms folded behind his head, legs propped up beside an empty plate, and lips sucking a cigarette.

"You're wearing my shirt."

She glanced down at the washed-out button shirt that slid down to her thighs, and shrugged. "I just took the shirt Kaido wore."

"Then you're both wearing my shirt." He stated.

Siera patted him on the shoulder. "You really have it tough."

He breathed out a smoky chuckle, and she slumped in the chair beside him.

"He's still asleep?"

Siera shook her head. "Nope. I woke up alone and thought he was training with you."

"Ah, maybe he's with his other girlfriend." Rake suggested, and she poked him in the ribs. With her fist. He grunted out a mouthful of smoke, lips spreading in a grin.

Thumps against the door echoed into the house. Somebody was pounding it, rather than knocking. Siera arched an eyebrow. "Fei?"

Rake's brow furrowed. "She has a key."

The pounds got even louder, and Rake swung his feet from the table to the floor. Siera got up and followed behind him.

"Open the fucking door or we'll bust-"