"Audrey Karev," I say and hold out my hand which she takes gently.

    "Meredith Grey." My eyes widen slightly but I try to hide it.

    "You were the one I watched in the OR when I was a patient here! You held a freaking heart in your hand! It was amazing." I watch as she smiles at my reaction. My goal is not to make enemies here. I probably will make some, as it comes with the job, but why put people against you when you could have them on your side?

    "Thanks. Yeah, it was a big moment for me." Before we can continue talking, a short but powerful looking woman walks up to us with a sour look on her face.

    "Grey, when I tell you to prep a patient I sure as hell don't mean to stand in the hall and chit-chat," Meredith mutters an apology before running away. Bailey then turns to me. "Karev, right?" I nod quickly, scared to say a word. "Hard enough with one, now I gotta deal with two." I'm not exactly sure what to say to her so I keep my mouth shut. "Look, I know your circumstances and know you're a little behind, so I'm going to be gracious and let you observe a resection happening in thirty minutes. Meanwhile you can help Grey prep the patient."

    "Okay, thank you," I say quickly, staring at her.

    "Well, don't just stand there, go." She says and I run off down the same corridor Meredith went. Now I know why they call her the Nazi.

∞∞∞∞∞∞

    In surgery, I stood behind Dr. Bailey and observed as she and Dr. Webber worked on their patient. Meredith stood beside Webber holding the retractor. I didn't expect to be on a surgery my first day so I was ecstatic to at least be in the OR. A steady beeping was all that could be heard for a while as the procedure seemed to be going smoothly.

    "There's too much damage." Webber states. "We'll have to remove most of the colon instead of a local resection." He starts to attempt to hold off something with a suture but can't seem to get the suture to go around it. I can tell he's starting to get frustrated. "You gotta push it up." He says to Bailey and she tries to accommodate. He still can't seem to get it to work. He clears his throat. "More suture, and what's with these damn lights in here?"

    Meredith, like everyone else in the room, could notice his frustration. She moves the light in hope of helping him. He continues and luckily is able to proceed with the operation. A little while later he asks for another retractor.

    "This just isn't holding," Bailey says calmly as she tries to help him and he nods before holding his hand out.

    "Give me a bigger retractor, please." She starts to hand him the large metal retractor but once he grabs hold of it, he can't seem to keep it up and it falls to the ground with a loud thud.

    "Sorry, Doctor." She apologizes but he interjects politely.

    "It wasn't you." He says and I can't help but feel helpless as I stand to the side doing nothing. Dr. Webber is an amazing surgeon but with what's happening I can't help but feel like he shouldn't be in the OR right now. He clears his throat again before speaking to Bailey.

    "Dr. Bailey, you can finish this." He steps back from the table letting others hold onto his tools. She looks a little startled as he walks away.

    "Uh, thank you, Chief. I appreciate the opportunity." He takes off his mask and scrub cap as he leaves the room. "Okay, Grey you can assist. Karev, come and take her retractor." I conceal my excitement well as I walk over to Grey's spot and take the retractor from her as she steps to the other side of the patient.

    I know it's not the best time and it's super selfish, but at least I have a better view of the patient now.

∞∞∞∞∞∞