Chapter 10 ~ Tea, Pizza & Secrets

Y/N pushed up their fallen sleeves for what seemed like the hundredth time, before sitting up straighter on the stool.

"Really wish these stools had backs, mine is killing me." Y/N thought, as they stretched out.

Jumping off the stool, Y/N looked over to the adjacent workbench and at his boss, who was huddled over a length of scrap metal. The gold and blue sparks from his blow touch, bouncing violently off his safety mask. At least he was wearing it this time, last time the press had caught him with scorched off eyebrows, they'd tried to paint him as unfit to be CTO, a "return to his careless teenage years" they'd called it. Suffice it to say, some journalists ended the month being sued by America's best corporate lawyers. Y/N chuckled at the memory, SI's policy for dealing with those sorts of defamatory stories, had given them some reputation among the news outlets. Since then, none of them tried printing anything similar.

Noticing their mug was empty Y/N walked over to the coffee machine, before turning back to Tony.

"Coffee?" They asked, to which Y/N was met with an absorbed silence.

"Gonna take that as a 'yes'." Y/N said to themselves, while starting up the machine and placing a 'World's Best Boss' mug under it. An odd choice, because Tony was known to hate those sort of workplace clichés. Though the mug was likely Peter's doing, it would explain why he still had it, Tony had mentioned afterward that Peter had a way of worming himself into your heart.

Reaching up, Y/N opened the cupboard and opened a new box of herbal tea bags, Bruce had recommended various different flavours, and though Y/N hated their tastes, they hoped (as they did each time), this type would be different. As Bruce had said, they definitely helped with stress, though Y/N was unsure as to whether that was due to themselves imagining it, or that they actually did. Natasha had suggested hot chocolate, as a better 'de-stresser', but Tony only had the teas and coffee stocked in the lab.

"JARVIS can you get those hot chocolate sachets stocked in the lab, please?" Y/N asked, while dropping a tea mug into their own mug.

"Of course, Mx L/N, do you refer to those used by Ms Romanov?"

"Yep." Y/N answered, as they finished up the mugs.

"Hot Chocolate Sachets are now on tomorrow's food delivery."

"Thanks, JARVIS."

"Anytime, Mx L/N, I should also make you aware that your tests have been finalised. I am now compiling a report."

"Great, thanks again." Y/N replied, walking back over to the workbenches, mugs in hand.

As Tony was still welding, Y/N placed their Boss' coffee in front them. Tony clearly noticed the movement, as he flipped up his mask and switched the torch off, setting it down.

"Thanks." He said, taking a long drink, "Ahhhh, I needed that."

Y/N simply nodded in reply, as they leant over the billionaire, "What you working on?"

"Just tinkering, the tests done?"

"Yep, JARVIS is just getting the results, then we can finally make it."

"Wanda's really gonna like this y'know."

"Hope so, even if it's a couple months late." Y/N agreed, the last part trailing off into a yawn.

"It's getting late, we can pick this up tomorrow."

"But we're almost done."

"As your boss, I say we stop for today. We'll read J's report and fabricate first thing tomorrow."