Chapter 9 ~ Interns

"So while we're moving your lab, I thought you could share mine." Tony said, waving his hands around at his personal lab as he and Y/N walked in.

"You really don't have to move my lab, Tony."

"Of course I do, you're my friend and friends help each other. You helped me turn Stark Industries into the global tech empire it is today and so it's time I started helping you more."

"Tony you've helped me more than enough, you picked me during the Stark Gifted & Talented Internship Program, at 17, only to make me Deputy Chief Technical Officer, at just 3 years later."

"Because you deserve it Y/N. You were and are the perfect choice for Deputy CTO, I can't do everything alone and neither can you. If you won't accept this new lab from a friend, as your Boss I order you to accept it." Tony finished breaking into a smile.

Y/N smiled back, "I accept, but Tony, really, thank you for everything."

"No worries, It will take time and practise to help alter your mindset and thinking, but remember we're all here to help." He said, pulling Y/N into a hug.

After, he pulled back and continued, "Now I thought we could help go through some of your projects. Did you have any ongoing personal projects?" Before you were kidnapped, went unsaid but was heavily implied. The mere memory forcing Y/N down, but they mentally pushed themselves back up.

"Actually there was one, it was a birthday present. For Wanda."

Tony, looking intrigued, sat down on a nearby stool, "What was it?" He asked, indicating to the empty stool next to him.

"Y'know Wanda's coat? It was an armoured version."

"I'm guessing it was...?"

Y/N sighed, "Yeah it's gone. But I've got the designs."

"Can l look?"

"Sure, JARVIS?"

"Displaying the designs for Test 4-A." Y/N smiled as their project designs appeared, and Tony virtually flicked through them.

"So, is this a lightweight Kevlar?"

"Sort of its based on Kevlar, but it's actually a-"

"Sorry I'm late Mr Stark, Adec went on longer than-. Oh sorry, am I interrupting? I'll come back later."

"Pete it's ok. Y/N, this is Peter Parker, he's my intern. Peter this Y/N L/N, Deputy CTO for SI."

"Woah! You were the youngest ever winner of the Gifted & Talented Internship Program and your research on dual lithium power cells is really cool and you're only 23 and your like my second favourite scientist and-"

"You gonna put some breaths in there Pete?"

"Sorry, sorry." Peter stuck his hand forward. "Hi, I'm Peter, Mr Stark's intern."

"Hey Peter, I'm Y/N, I'm glad to be your second favourite scientist." Y/N replied, shaking Peter's hand.

"Dr Banner is my favourite. Biochemistry is my strong point."

"What about me?"

"Your... in the top five, Mr Stark."

"Top Five?!"

Peter laughed, and turned to the screens, "Is that a polymesh tri-weave?"

"Yeah it is, it's for Wanda's coat. Just the design, I er, lost the frame and prototype."

"I'm always losing stuff, can I help?"

"Er of course."

"Great, I'll draw up a wireframe." Peter said, before running off to the other side of the lab.

Y/N turned to Tony, "So an intern huh?"

"I found him while you were, y'know, he's a good kid. I'm kinda mentoring him, he wraps you round his finger - you can't not love him."

"Does he know about...?"

"He does, but I told him not to ask you about it."

"Thanks, Tony."

"Anytime, get to know him a bit more. Kids a genius. Not as clever as me though."

"I heard that Mr Stark!" Peter shouted across the room.

Y/N laughed, before leaving to go over to join Peter. Tony was sure it was the first time they'd laughed since the attack.

~~~~~

"So how'd you meet Tony?" Y/N asked not looking up from their wielding.

"Can I trust you, Mx L/N?"

"Of course, and call me Y/N, drop all that formal stuff."

"Ok, er I'm Spider-Man."

"Wow, that's really cool, who else knows?"

"Mr Stark, my best friend, my girlfriend, my aunt and now you."

"Not the other Avengers?"

"No, Mr Captain America will probably say I'm too young or something."

"That's ok, no point telling them if you're not ready. I won't worry about Steve though, he joined the army underage after all."

Peter stifled a laugh, "He did, I'll use that against him when I tell them. How did you and Ms Maximoff meet."

If Y/N was drinking water, they would have spit it straight out, "How'd you know we were dating?"

"You're building her a state of the art uniform, and Mr Stark told me."

"You're too smart for your own good, Parker."

"So Mr Stark keeps saying, do you have any more Spider-Man related questions?"

"Yeah a few."

Y/N and Peter went back and forth asking and answering questions of each other, while developing Wanda's belated birthday gift. They were so absorbed in each other's stories and their work, that the next four hours flew by. It was only when Tony entered the lab, that Peter realised the time.

"Hey Mr Stark. ...oh crap I have to go!"

"Was just coming to get you, Happy's downstairs."

"I don't mind the subway."

"Not while you're on my payroll. See you Friday, Pete."

"You don't pay me."

"Bye Peter."

"Bye Mr Stark, bye Y/N." Peter said, waving madly.

"See ya Peter." Y/N smiled back, waving not quite as madly.

As Peter left the lab, Tony came over to where Peter and Y/N had been working.

"How's it going?"

"Almost done, just need to do a few more tests. Then get JARVIS to fabricate it."

"Great, told you that kid's a genius."

"He really is."

After a pause, Y/N spoke again, "So, Spider-Man?"

"Pete tell you? He was doing it before I met him."

"Yeah, he seems to know what he's doing, is he an Avenger?"

"He declined, didn't think he was good enough. Reminds me of someone." Tony said, directing the last part at Y/N, smirking.

"Hey, I'm getting better."

"You are. Now, what tests have you got left."