Chapter Fifty Four

Three days later, Marcus was doing the walk of shame through the kingdom to be transported in another jail.

Tobias, Beatrice, and Evelyn waited at the front doors of the castle along with all the servants to see him off. Marcus finally appeared with two guards holding a restrictive grasp over him and two others for security purposes. He looked up and sneered at Evelyn and Beatrice, who stood straight next to Tobias. "I think I'm going to be sick," Beatrice whispered as Tobias rose his hand which signaled for them to stop.

"Marcus," Tobias spoke in a low and calm voice.

Marcus looked up and flashed his yellow teeth. He licked them slowly and straightened himself. "When you become King, you'll end up just like me."

"Rot in Hell."

"Staying here is worse than Hell. I'd have to see a rat infest my family while there's nothing I can do."

"We are no family of yours. You don't have anyone anymore. You've lost them all."

"That's what you think. The Royal Family has a lot of secrets, Tobias, and I'm no longer going to be here to protect you and your mother from them. There is a lot of evil in this world, more than you can imagine, and most of it lies in our Royal Family."

Tobias chuckled and shook his head. "Ironic, then, how the person you should have protected us from is yourself." he waved his hand and motioned for the guards to continue walking.

"Just wait and see, Tobias. Just wait and see!" Marcus yelled before the doors were slammed shut and his voice was no longer.

That memory lingered in Tobias' mind on the morning of his coronation day. He stood in front of the large painting of his father holding the traditional orb and scepter from his coronation day. Tobias' nose twitched before he took the painting off the wall and smashing it on the ground. The glass shattered as he bent down and began to rip the painting to shreds with the knife in his hands.

Beatrice had followed her husband and watched in horror as he ripped the painting. Then, she heard soft whimpering followed by crying. She walked over and slowly crouched down beside him, cupping his face and wiping the tears with her thumb.

"Why are you crying?" she asked softly before looking down at the mess he made. She sighed when she saw Marcus' face and returned back to Tobias. "You will not become your father. He was a horrible person and king, but it doesn't mean you will be too."

Tobias looked up, still crying. "How do you know? I am his son. I've hurt people, lied, cheated-"

"Stop," she interrupted. "You're nothing like him. Nothing. Look at me," she forced him to turn his head to her. "I wouldn't have fallen in love with you if it weren't for your heart. I would have never married a man who shared traits to one who kidnapped me and ruined my life. Stop this, please. I can't hear anymore that you think you're your father. I can't."

It took a moment before he wrapped his arms around her and pulled her closer to him. He cried in her shoulder, and she was there to comfort him. Tobias finally calmed down and picked up the broken painting before bringing it outside and, instead of throwing it in the trash like he said he would, burned it. He went back inside and walked to his bedroom.

Without a word, he put on his outfit and sat on the chair in front of the window that gave a view of the front of the castle. He groaned once he saw the large carriage pull in the front and Evelyn walking out to greet the coachman. Tobias looked back and saw Beatrice fixing her hair in the mirror. She was wearing a green dress and her hair was up in a bun. She noticed his staring and smiled at him.