Chapter Twenty Eight

Beatrice was angry. 

Angry at Tobias for forcing the reunion with her parents.

Angry at her father's response to her relationship. 

Angry at her brother's childish provoking. 

Angry that her mother sent her away while she calmed her father. 

When the carriage came to a halt in front of the entrance, Beatrice wasted no time in waiting for the coachman. She pushed open the door and walked up the steps, wanting nothing more than to be alone for the night.

Tobias paused at the sight, faltering as he watched her run from him. He slowly stepped out, waiting for her to enter the castle before he followed, wanting to give her as much space as she needed.

Beatrice's anger surrounded her as she walked through the halls. Telling my parents was only natural - perhaps I'm angry because I was not prepared to confront them, she wondered, clenching her fists. Why should I be prepared? They should be happy for me, no matter what!

In the cafeteria, Christina stirred her food, glancing up at Will in front of her

In the cafeteria, Christina stirred her food, glancing up at Will in front of her. He was silent during their meal - a common silence they found themselves surrounded by more and more. 

For the life of her, Christina could not guess as to why the man she loved would be so distant toward her. Will, however, had a reason; he had found a letter from her parents begging her to return home and get married. Since then, the concept of marriage surrounded his every waking thought; I'm not ready to get married, he told himself constantly. If Christina needs to get married, I should not hold her back.

Christina sighed and reached for his hand. "Will, please tell me what bothers you."

He sighed, raising her hand and pressing his forehead against it. "Please do not be upset with me, my love," he glanced up at her. "I saw the letter from your parents. The one about them requesting you return home and fulfill your engagement."

Her heart dropped. "I do not want that!" She assured him quickly. "I only wish to marry you, Will!"

He held her hands tighter. "That's the thing, Christina. I am not ready for marriage yet."

She faltered, loosening her hands. "With anyone, or with me?"

"I feel it's too early to be married," he expressed. "Perhaps down the line, of course, but I can't guarantee when that will be," he sighed. 

"What does that mean for us?" she whispered. 

"It means if you wish to be married, then you don't deserve to wait for me," he whispered back, a tear forming in his eye. "I love you endlessly, Christina, but I can't make you a promise of marriage yet. It's not fair to you!"

She wiped a tear from her cheek. "Will, where is this truly coming from? Are you unsure of my love for you? Is it a past relationship?"

He groaned. "Honestly, I thought I would never get married. I have had to see what marriage does to a couple through my parents and my sisters. Christina, I love you too much to ever see you live a life of so much misery."