Chapter Seventeen

Beatrice collapsed against Christina's bedroom door, knocking incessantly. 

"Christina!" She cried out. "Answer the door!"

Christina swung open the door, yawning. She rubbed her forehead, oblivious to the commotion in the castle. "Why the panic? I'm up!" she sighed and tied the apron around her waist nonchalantly. 

Beatrice grunted as she grabbed her arm, pulling her outside. "We have to get going now! The castle is under attack!"

Christina stared at her in disbelief. "Are you okay?" she eyed her.

The ground beneath them shook once more, knocking Christina off her balance. She fell back on her behind, cutting her arm in the process. Her eyes widened as she looked up, her fear rising. 

"Get up," Beatrice urged, helping her best friend to her feet. 

"It's only an earthquake," Christina said nervously. "Only an earthquake. Where is Will?"

Christina looked down at the gun in her best friend's hands, her stomach sinking. She slowly looked up and nodded to her, deciding to believe what she had told her. 

Beatrice panicked at the sound of soldiers' footsteps, grabbing Christina's hands and pushing her inside. She quickly shut the door behind them, hearing the instant commotion of servants running to safety. 

"We have to run!" Christina urged, reaching for the door.

Gunshots filled their senses, along with the painful sound of people screaming at the top of their lungs. Beatrice grabbed Christina's arm and shoved them into the closet as she heard footsteps march down the stairs and into the servant quarters. Christina found her best friend's hand and squeezed it.

From the crack in the closet, Beatrice watched as a soldier walked in with his gun raised, pointing everywhere to make sure no one was in the bedroom. When he left, someone yelled "clear", but Beatrice knew better than to fall for a trick. She closed her eyes as she heard the noise of a servant leaving their bedroom, only for a shot to ring out and a body to thud to the ground.

When the sound of the loud boots grew distant, Beatrice carefully opened the closet and stepped out with a trembling Christina.

"Where's Will?" She whispered. "Is he okay?"

Beatrice looked at her. "We'll find him. Let's get going."

They exited the bedroom and walked up the stairs, Beatrice's gun raised in front of her. 

Another shake from the ground sent Christina backward down the stairs. She cried out inadvertently as Beatrice ran down to help her. When she was on her feet, Christina screamed at the near gunshots above the stairs. Beatrice covered her mouth, pinning her against the wall. 

Christina slowly glanced away from her best friend and looked at the top of the stairs, whimpering at the sight. Beatrice cringed at her reaction, knowing when she turned her head she would be faced with imminent danger. 

As expected, Beatrice turned and saw a soldier in white above them, their gun pointed toward them. Christina whimpered louder against Beatrice's hands, tears streaming down her cheeks.

Beatrice let her own single tear escape from her eyes, taking a deep breath as she accepted the fate laid out in front of her. If my end is now, at least I'll die with Tobias' kiss, she told herself.

A shot rang in their ears, but when Beatrice opened one eye, she found the soldier previously pointing a gun at her rolling down the stairs. Dead. 

She looked up and saw Tobias running down with anger and worry sprawled over his face.

"What were you thinking?!" He yelled, but Beatrice noticed a small break in his voice as he looked at her.