Chapter Forty Six

Days in the castle were dull now that Beatrice was gone.

It was not the same emptiness Tobias felt when she was pronounced dead, because then, he at least knew where he could find her, at the cemetery.

Now, he had to sit in silence as he waited for her, not knowing when that would be.

Tobias stretched his arm across the bed, faltering at the cold sheet under his palm. He remembered his mother's words, urging him to keep his space, reminding him that Beatrice needed time with her family.

Even so, Tobias' selfish needs loomed around him.

He reluctantly got ready for the day, needing to keep appearances up. His mother had advised him that he needed to exude his professionalism in order for the kingdom to support his marriage to a commoner. Love or not, he knew the disdain they would face when he would formally announce their engagement.

In preparation, Tobias and Will worked diligently to pass proclamations and laws in order to raise public morale and support. And, as it turns out, their plan was working well.

When Tobias entered his office, Will was already waiting for him. Will bowed, clutching to the stack of papers in his hands. Tobias nodded and took a seat at his bureau, waiting for Will's daily briefing.

"Public support has raised effectively just over half of the kingdom," Will explained, setting down a document on the desk.

"Just over half?" Tobias repeated. "Is that not a bit low?"

Will shrugged. "Given your father's policies that benefited the rich Lords rather than the commoners and villages, just over half is a remarkable process from where it was before."

The prince chuckled. "Should I dare ask what it was before?" he read over the document, impressed. "Incredibly impressive work, Will."

Will smiled and bowed. The prince often complimented the Page Boy, but each compliment was as if he were hearing it the first time.

"Speaking of which," Tobias continued. "I find your position lacking."

"Lacking?" Will stuttered.

"Yes. You do not fit the position you were given."

He compliments me, only to fire me? Will wondered. "I am afraid I do not understand."

"It is quite simple," Tobias smiled. "You will resign as Page Boy."

Will's eyes widened in complete shock. He had never expected such a sentence.

Tobias, amused by his panicked state, reached into the drawer and pulled out a contract, handing it to him. "Instead, you are being promoted to King's Advisor."

Will's panic washed away as he shakily reached for the contract. "King's Advisor?"

"Yes," Tobias encouraged. "Once I am made King, this position will be waiting for you. I would like you to be my future advisor, Will. You are far too valuable to be a simple Page Boy."

"Yes!" Will answered quickly, ecstatic. He draped his arm diagonally against his chest and bowed. "It will be my honor to serve as your advisor."

"Wonderful," Tobias cheered. "Now, let us continue with the briefing."

Will, newly energetic, enthusiastically carried out the briefings. Yet, even the sight of such a happy person, Tobias found himself still unhappy.

Nearing the end of their session, as they drawled on about logistics, a guard entered the office. Will stood to the side as the guard bowed.