Chapter Twenty Five

"Have you lost your entire mind, Evelyn?!" Marcus roared, slamming his hand against his desk.

Evelyn rolled her eyes as she stirred her drink. She rose her leg and rested it against her other, sitting back in the chair to watch her husband.

"I would think that you could consult me before jumping into these plans of yours!" he continued, pacing across the room in front of her. "Do you expect me to sit feasibly by as you allow a servant to intrude in our family?! For the sake of our spoiled son?!"

Evelyn cocked a brow, unamused. "Are you finished, Marcus?"

Marcus sneered and sat down on the bed, shaking in anger.

"Tobias is in no position to end the relationship on his own terms," she explained slowly. "He is much too in love with her. For that reason, the relationship needs to end through the other person involved. Her."

Marcus furrowed his brows at her.

"The reaction Tobias had at the table when I offered the contract proved to me that she is the key to ending the relationship. He would have no trouble denying the contract, but it pained him to realize she would possibly accept it," she shrugged. "I am not sure what he did to persuade her, but she did not accept the contract. Nevertheless, there was a moment where she could have. She would have left love in order to help her family."

"Will you use her family as leverage, then?" he asked slowly, interested in her plan.

"Subtly. By inviting her to our lavish functions, she will realize how displaced she is among us. Soon enough, this servant will realize she can not bear the life of a princess while her own family continues starving in the village. She will leave Tobias all on her own. We would have no part in it!"

"What does it matter if we intervene?"

"If we intervene, Marcus, Tobias will never listen to us again," she warned. "He will resent us terribly and may never ascend the throne. If the servant breaks his heart, he will be inclined to marry Princess Lauren and continue his duty."

Marcus' eyes widened as he understood the plan. He stood and laughed smugly, reaching for his wife's hand. "I never knew such a plan was in you, my dear Evelyn."

Evelyn smiled as she drank from her glass. She sighed and looked up at her husband. "Of course, there is the possibility she is prepared to truly give up everything for Tobias."

Marcus shook his head and kissed her hand. "We will make sure it never comes to that."

A knock interrupted Christina in the middle of her talk

A knock interrupted Christina in the middle of her talk. Beatrice chuckled nervously and apologized, rushing over to her bedroom door to answer.

Beatrice fixed her dress before opening the door, surprised to see one of the guards at her door.

"A letter from the Queen," the guard explained as he handed the letter.